GEOTAG fff or jpg files from Hasselblad X2D 100 with Adobe Lightroom

Previous topic - Next topic

KuehnKvT

Geotag fff or jpg files from Hasselblad X2D 100 with Adobe Lightroom

1.) Record a GPS-Track using a Smartphone or GPS device, while you shoot the photos (I use ,,Cartograph Maps 3" https://www.cartograph.eu/v3/, it is not free but not expensive, the app exists for MAC, ipad, iphone, Android, Windows, and is able to use Offline and Onlinemaps.  But anything else would work.

2.) Export the track to a GPX-file, save it on your MAC (maybe same folder as photos)

3.) In Adobe Lightroom, import your FFF or jpg files

4.) Set the time delay between a photo and the corresponding trackpoint at the location:  Mark 1  photo in LR Library and note the capture time (It is essential to use the capture time not any other timestamp, otherwise tagging gives no or wrong results)

5.) in LR, switch to the MAP tab, in the Map menu, choose ,,Load Tracklog", load your GPX track. It will showup as a (blue) line.
Find the location, the photo was taken, on the map. Point to the location on the track line and readout the time.
In LR-menu, ,,Map", choose ,,Tracklog", and ...Timedelay (similar in english menu, mine is german...)
Set the delay:  if the photo's time is earlier, set a negative delay.

6.) Mark all photos you want to geotag, in LR click on the zigzag item in the Mapwindow, choose ,,tag ### photos" (or similar in english menu)

7.) Save the Metadata: In LR-Menu ,,Photo" , choose ,,Save metadata".

That's it   

All of this can also be done with Phil Harvey's ,,ExifTool".  On his site (https://exiftool.org)  Hasselblad's FFF format is listed as a supported filetype. I did not test that.
A GUI ("ExifTool GUI") exist for windows systems, without it you must use commandline mode...

stephanbruehl

Quote from: KuehnKvT on June 12, 2023, 10:42:42 PM
Geotag fff or jpg files from Hasselblad X2D 100 with Adobe Lightroom

1.) Record a GPS-Track using a Smartphone or GPS device, while you shoot the photos (I use ,,Cartograph Maps 3" https://www.cartograph.eu/v3/, it is not free but not expensive, the app exists for MAC, ipad, iphone, Android, Windows, and is able to use Offline and Onlinemaps.  But anything else would work.

2.) Export the track to a GPX-file, save it on your MAC (maybe same folder as photos)

3.) In Adobe Lightroom, import your FFF or jpg files

4.) Set the time delay between a photo and the corresponding trackpoint at the location:  Mark 1  photo in LR Library and note the capture time (It is essential to use the capture time not any other timestamp, otherwise tagging gives no or wrong results)

5.) in LR, switch to the MAP tab, in the Map menu, choose ,,Load Tracklog", load your GPX track. It will showup as a (blue) line.
Find the location, the photo was taken, on the map. Point to the location on the track line and readout the time.
In LR-menu, ,,Map", choose ,,Tracklog", and ...Timedelay (similar in english menu, mine is german...)
Set the delay:  if the photo's time is earlier, set a negative delay.

6.) Mark all photos you want to geotag, in LR click on the zigzag item in the Mapwindow, choose ,,tag ### photos" (or similar in english menu)

7.) Save the Metadata: In LR-Menu ,,Photo" , choose ,,Save metadata".

That's it   

All of this can also be done with Phil Harvey's ,,ExifTool".  On his site (https://exiftool.org)  Hasselblad's FFF format is listed as a supported filetype. I did not test that.
A GUI ("ExifTool GUI") exist for windows systems, without it you must use commandline mode...
Seems a bit complicated to me. I just shoot the same picture with my iPhone and then in LR I copy the GPS data directly from the iPhone file to the X2D file...

grotte

My take on geotagging is that once I can't recall where the shot was taken, perhaps photography should no longer be my concern.

Domip

Just use your iPhone (or smartphone) and copy metadata over in Lightroom... easy.

KuehnKvT

...and with 150 photos on a journey, would you take 150 shots with your iphone and copy 150 sets of geodata and paste them..?  I wouldn't.

flash

Quote from: KuehnKvT on June 23, 2023, 10:15:06 AM
...and with 150 photos on a journey, would you take 150 shots with your iphone and copy 150 sets of geodata and paste them..?  I wouldn't.

Yep. I do.

Plus I don't want any HB shots I might post to social media to have GPS data. Too many instances of loser instagrammers damaging sites chasing a GPS located image. Anyhow, I still remember exactly where most of my significant images were taken, even from film 30 years ago.

Gordon

SrMi

Quote from: flash on June 23, 2023, 11:31:09 AM
Quote from: KuehnKvT on June 23, 2023, 10:15:06 AM

Yep. I do.

Plus I don't want any HB shots I might post to social media to have GPS data. Too many instances of loser instagrammers damaging sites chasing a GPS located image. Anyhow, I still remember exactly where most of my significant images were taken, even from film 30 years ago.

Gordon
The manual approach is too error-prone and time-consuming for me.
Lightroom allows exports by explicitly removing GPS coordinates. I never share images with location info.

JCM-Photos

Does anyone know if the X1D Hasselblad external GPS module (on the flash hotshoe) works on the X2D ?

I use it regularly on the X1D, even if it's very very slow to initiate.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

SrMi

Quote from: JCM-Photos on June 23, 2023, 09:32:03 PM
Does anyone know if the X1D Hasselblad external GPS module (on the flash hotshoe) works on the X2D ?

I use it regularly on the X1D, even if it's very very slow to initiate.
It does not.

o2mpx

Has anyone used a gps logger which produces a gpx file with a program that applies those into Hassel lad 3fr or 3ff files?

Have been using Geotag Photos Tagger for Mac which has an iOS app that records while you're shooting plus generating a file after which can apply gps data into DNG files.

KuehnKvT

The problem with tagging fff files in Lightroom is just, that Phocus does not read the LR tags. This applies to fff files.
Better use Graphicconverter.
See here: https://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php?topic=9160.0