How much RAM on Mac M1Pro best for Phocus ?

Previous topic - Next topic

KC2020

I've been running Phocus on a 14" MBP M1Pro with 16GB of RAM for location, tethered shooting. It's works but there are issues with the current version of Phocus, 3.6.1 focus stacking works, 3.6.2 and 3.7.2 it does not. There are also times when selecting an imported image, it looks completely blown out in the full size view. Quit and re-launch usually fixes this and it doesn't happen all the time.

HB does not give system requirements for Phocus, at least that I can find.

So can anyone tell me from experience how much RAM is ideal/needed for Phocus on a Mac with the M1/M2 processors ?

Any information would be appreciated.

Alex

I'm using the same 14" M1Pro (16GB/1TB) and I have noticed that performance issues seemed more to do with background battles between Phocus and the OS, than hardware limitations. 3.7.3 (the latest version of Phocus), along with Ventura (13.3.1), are delivering a stable experience.

SeanRL

In general terms, the testing on this laptop is that with 16GB version it can start to use the ssd as memory sooner than the 32GB version. I believe the performance results were similar for many things apparently due to apple's use of ultrafast ssd. So as long as you're not filling up the ssd too much, you're probably ok with 16GB RAM.

There is some online speculation that with 16GB RAM you'll have shorter life on the ssd, but probably you'll move to a new computer before that happens.

S

MSuser

Quote from: KC2020 on May 26, 2023, 05:07:17 AM
...HB does not give system requirements for Phocus, at least that I can find.

So can anyone tell me from experience how much RAM is ideal/needed for Phocus on a Mac with the M1/M2 processors ?

Any information would be appreciated.

Information regarding system requirements will be in the read-me file which is available next to the software download link. If you keep scrolling thru the document, you'll find a change log for various versions.

The latest says:

Phocus 3.7.3 Mac read-me

March 31st 2023

Compatibility

macOS 10.15 or later is required.

In case you need to run Phocus on older versions of macOS please visit our software archive.

Phocus requires at least 8 GB of memory, where 16 GB or more is recommended.

Apple Silicon

This build has native support for Apple Silicon Macs - however currently it is not compatible with macOS 11.0 or 11.0.1 when running native - it needs 11.1 or later. You can force it to run using Rosetta if needed via Finder Get Info.

Furthermore EIZO monitor calibration and use of the Rodenstock eShutter will require you to run using Rosetta.

System Requirements

Graphics adapters

You should be aware that Phocus utilizes the processing power of the GPU - therefore using a Mac with a high performance GPU is definitely an advantage. All Apple Silicon Macs and all Intel Mac's using discrete GPU's should provide good performance. We do not recommend using a Mac that only incorporates an integrated Intel GPU.

Also if you are using an old GPU that does not support Metal you will see some limitations. The extended GPU usage option will not be available and also you will have lower quality rendering of the new clarity, shadow fill and recovery algorithms in the viewer in between 25 and 100%. We expect this to be the last feature release that will run without a Metal capable GPU.

Phocus will take full advantage of an external GPU.

[see the read-me file for additional information]

KC2020

I've updated to 3.7.3 and it is indeed better, stable.

Found the Read Me that was staring right at me.

Next MBP will be with 32BG or more RAM but I'm waiting to see what the M3 offers.

Thank you gentleman !!!