Success: Latest Firmware 19.0.0+ for the HC 80 2.8 Orange Lens to Use on X1D2

Previous topic - Next topic

mmanesh

...now I want to go online and buy some H lenses for my X2D and the 0.8 Adapter  ::) :P

JCM-Photos

According to my experience H lenses are huge and heavy compared to X, and sharpness isn't quite as good with H.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

fotophil

I have several H Series non-orange dot lenses with firmware 19.1 installed. I believe that these lenses worked with AF on my X2D camera under the original ver 1 firmware but I lost AF function after upgrading the X2D yo ver 2 firmware. Has anyone else had this problem? My single orange dot lens with firmware 19.1 does work AF so iot seems that Ver 2 firmware has made the camera aware mof the presence of the orange dot? Maybe the next X2D firmware will fix the problem.

JOHN-x2d

Quote from: mmanesh on June 03, 2023, 03:36:07 AM
...now I want to go online and buy some H lenses for my X2D and the 0.8 Adapter  ::) :P
This is a good idea! In fact, I feel that most HC lenses are better than XCD lenses and currently I have all HC lenses except the HCD 24mm and they work extremely well on the X2D!

JCM-Photos

I can testify that it's not true

X lenses are optically better than H at least in corners

Conner999

Personally love HC/D lenses on XH bodies, especially with the 0.8XH. The difference between them and XCD lenses is much like the endless debates on Leica forums on older vs new glass. 

Our standard optic on the X1DII is the 0.8XH+80HC (for a 54/2.2 equiv.), at least until it's sold, even though we had/have a number of XCD lenses.

There are some cases where you want optical perfection and there's times when you want a very sharp, but more filmic or dare I say the dreaded 'organic' look.

After all, countless photogs around the world used HC/D lenses on low and high-mp-count digital backs and made collective $M and endless award-wining images with them.

There's a world of difference between 'optically perfect' vs. 'sharp but film-like' compared to 'nice' vs. 'unsharp dull crap'.

JCM-Photos

My experience with all kinds of Hasselblad lenses is that H lenses have a similar rendering as XCD's in colors and contrasts, H lenses are just less sharp on edges, the only less "filmic lens" in my XCD lenses (21, 45, 45P, 80, 90, 135) is the 45P.
The lenses that are more filmic on my X1D and CFV II 50c in my opinion are my Zeiss CF's (50FLE, 80, 180, 250SA)

ayash

I purchased the 35-75 XCD lens and a 35-90 Orange dot  last year,
I returned the 35-75 and kept the H lens, because of the focal range. And because the face is, with 0.8 converter, you get an aperture range of 3.5-4.5

So I stuck with the XH and XH 0.8 adapters, and bought:
80mm OD
150N mm OD
35mm non OD

With this combo I get to have 6 lenses.
29mm,43mm,65mm,97mm, 120mm, 182mm

This range does not exist in the XCD line up and will cost much less with the H lenses.