Has anyone received an XCD 2.5/90 V lens YET?

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Miller Photo UK

Yes again I received another message from my supplier this week stating that they still had no information on when they will be able to deliver the lens I ordered the day it was launched by Hasselblad.

One wonders what is going on in Sweden with this lens that they would launch this product (on 07 Sept 2022) AND then never deliver it -- well not by May 2023 - 8 months later.

I suffer reading about folk having to wait for this and that in other forum (Not only Nikon) - but now I am joining the crowd of the very disappointed -- this time by H !!!. The first 2 V lenses are fine -- but I want the 90 !!

man-overboard

Quote from: Andy Miller Photo UK on May 03, 2023, 05:12:56 AM
Yes again I received another message from my supplier this week stating that they still had no information on when they will be able to deliver the lens I ordered the day it was launched by Hasselblad.

One wonders what is going on in Sweden with this lens that they would launch this product (on 09 July 2022) AND then never deliver it -- well not by May 2023 - 10 months later.

I suffer reading about folk having to wait for this and that in other forum (Not only Nikon) - but now I am joining the crowd of the very disappointed -- this time by H !!!. The first 2 V lenses are fine -- but I want the 90 !!
LOL you are one of the lucky one with a 38/55V, I await now for a long time the 55/90... patience is a virtue some people keep reminding me.

tenmangu81

I suspect they could have reliability issues with the shutter, as it is supposed to reach 1/4000s, while other lenses go up only to 1/2000s. Otherwise, I can't understand why they can't release it in the commercial circuit.
Robert

Gethyn

B&H keep showing that the lens is expected on 2 June.  I suppose that I must consider myself very lucky to have both the 38 mm and the 55 mm.

glaiben

The 90V's were released to reviewers in late December - rumors are some have found problems.  Although Jim Kasson hinted it is quite a good lens.

..gregg

ktanaka

Ha!  I came here to ask exactly that question, Andy. I also consider myself fortunate to have the 55V and 38V...both of which are optically terrific.  But I'm eager to at least test drive the 90V an compare it to my current 90.  Being also a Leica M system owner I've had to learn much patience over many years.  I'm almost a Zen master now.

Andy Miller Photo UK

Quote from: Andy Miller Photo UK on May 03, 2023, 05:12:56 AM

One wonders what is going on in Sweden with this lens that they would launch this product (on 07 Sep 2022) AND then never deliver it -- well not by May 2023 - 8 months later.

I did receive the 55 and 38 very quickly. 

What I was hoping was that H - would not only deliver the 90 but also some kind of road map for the rest -- a V version of the 21, 120M and 135+TC would be a good start AND then there is the 1.9/80. These are the focal lengths I use most often with this camera - the 55 and 38 are really focal lengths for street shooting, which is not really my bag with such a prominent camera -- even with the logos taped over. But portraits and headshots need longer FL and my landscapes need the 21 or a shorter lens (which I access by bolting on a H series).

pdprinter

I am also impatiently waiting for the 90V. I have the 45P which I am very content with and I just got a 135mm + extender; a great lens except somewhat underwhelming at closest focusing range which I would use a lot. But great lens in two meanings quality and bulk/weight. So I can not see it as a daily companion using it all day hiking and needs to go back. So I have to try more my patience.

JCM-Photos

Quote from: tenmangu81 on May 03, 2023, 05:38:36 AM
I suspect they could have reliability issues with the shutter, as it is supposed to reach 1/4000s, while other lenses go up only to 1/2000s. Otherwise, I can't understand why they can't release it in the commercial circuit.
No HB lens goes up to 1/2000s or 1/4000s it's mechanically impossible with a leaf shutter

digital bodies go up to these exposure speeds, the first one to go to 1/2000s being the H6 with orange dot lenses, then the X1D, and up to 1/4000s the first was the A6

Hb optical dept chief said that the challenge for such high exposure times with a shutter limited at 1/1000s is a fine calibration of the body to lens synch between sensor activation and leaf shutter closing.

(fast exposures are obtained by activating the sensor only after leaf shutter opening)
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Andy Miller Photo UK

Here is the response I just recieved from H CS

"Dear ......,
Thank you for your feedback.
We are aware that our customers are waiting for this lens but, unfortunately, the XCD 2,5/90V lens is not yet available, it was just released.
It is performing the final testing to make it fits our standard.
The ETA is not yet announced, but it will be very soon.
Hence, as you have pre-order this lens via your local dealer, you will have priority when this product will be available.
Please do not hesitate to contact us for additional support if needed.
Best regards,
The Hasselblad Support Team"

Well there you go..........................
                                                         !
                                                         v
                                                         v
                                                         v
                                                         v
                                                       ARGH !!

CedLed

I received exactly the same response 2 monthes ago...

Quote from: Andy Miller Photo UK on May 03, 2023, 07:58:23 PM
Here is the response I just recieved from H CS

"Dear ......,
Thank you for your feedback.
We are aware that our customers are waiting for this lens but, unfortunately, the XCD 2,5/90V lens is not yet available, it was just released.
It is performing the final testing to make it fits our standard.
The ETA is not yet announced, but it will be very soon.
Hence, as you have pre-order this lens via your local dealer, you will have priority when this product will be available.
Please do not hesitate to contact us for additional support if needed.
Best regards,
The Hasselblad Support Team"

Well there you go..........................
                                                         !
                                                         v
                                                         v
                                                         v
                                                         v
                                                       ARGH !!

Ralf

I canceled my order for the 90V and switched to the 80s because I realized that F1.9 and the "special magic" are more important to me than the better AF, the 1/4000s and the last bit of sharpness.  So you have one more 90V available when it is delivered.   ;)

JCM-Photos

HB answer is clear to understand.
When writing this they were making the final release tests.

The lens was not released, what means that it missed the very hard tests, worst case would be that they have to make a redesign.

The history of the XCD30 showed a similar case, the original X1D was launched with the 45 and XCD90 and 30 should follow quickly. Only the 90 followed and the 30 came more than 8 months later. Meanwhile it is public that it has been completely redesigned in final stage.

Final release also includes manufacturing test. Is manufacturing and quality control able to respect the lens needed precision. These parameters are very different from one lens design to the other. To my knowledge HB never released a defective design. That was not the case sometimes by other well known brands.

The only solution is to wait or cope with the fabulous XCD90
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Photon42

If I remember correctly, the 65 had a similar history in getting reworked after first tests. I cannot remember, though, where I read this.

wndcttr

Mine arrived today. Original order was back in Oct 2023, so I'm late to the game.