Phocus 1.0 - some observations and frustrations

Previous topic - Next topic

GrantRH

Been using Phocus for the odd tethered shoot lately and have to say it is well on its way of superseding Flexcolor.
The processed image quality is outstanding...better than Flex IMO.

A few frustrations (though it is only v1.0)
1) We seem to have lost the preview capture mode. Personally I found this useful in constructing the shot without clogging up the HDD with unwanted files. What is the alternative?? deleting the test images before you shoot the finals so as to minimise file fragmentation?? very clumsy!!
2) Cannot identify a multi-shot capture vs a single shot capture in the Thumbnails window or anywhere else for that matter.
3) Navigation within the Tools window sucks. Needs mouse scrollwheel control
4) Cannot Tab through the numerical data entry windows in the Tools window
5) Tool pallettes would be great if they were free floating so as to utilise a second monitor.

I would be very interested to hear of others interest in bringing back the Preview Capture mode.
I realise you can get caught shooting thinking you are capturing to disk when you are only in preview mode. You soon wake up to that one after the first time

Cheers

Grant

robertpoll

Hi Grant,

I wasn't aware that there was a preview capture mode in FC, so haven't missed it in Phocus. Having said that, the shoot/delete is annoying so would definitely use it if it were put into Phocus.

For me though the most important on your list is the lack of scroll wheel navigation in tools - having to click on the microscopic arrow at the bottom of the pallette drives me nuts!

...rob
robert poll photography | www.robertpoll.com | +44(0) 7768 466663

NickT

Hi Grant
I've passed on your requests to the head of software, I've also asked for a moveable overlay on preview shots. Re floating pallettes, have you tried "viewer in a separate window" for dual monitor setups?
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

GrantRH

Hi Nick

Yes I have used the 'viewer in a separate window' and that does help although it would be good to keep the top toolbar on my primary monitor.
This is only a small point with the software and as you have suggested there are workarounds.

The other point you could pass on to the mothership is the Tab issue I pointed out in my original post.
I have further discovered you can Tab between numerical entry boxes on my MacBook Pro but not on my MacPro ???
On the MacPro to Tab from a numerical entry box to the next takes you to the next slider control not the numerical entry.

My biggest frustration, however, is the lack of preview capture mode. This alone is enough to stop me from using Phocus for most of my work.
Maybe it is just me but having the luxury of taking 'free polaroids' to fine tune a still-life before the final captures is something I have gotten very use to.
Lets not move backwards to go forwards.

Grant

harmsr

I agree with these suggestions, plus would really like to see a hand tool for movement while zoomed.  I am also used to other programs where I can double click on the picture in the main window and it jumps to the hand tool and a 100% view.  Additional tools for highlight & shadow recovery would also be a big plus.

Best,

Ray