Backing up raws while traveling

Previous topic - Next topic

ALAIN

Good morning,
When traveling, I usually take a MacBookPro which I use to empty my SD memory cards.
Wishing to lighten myself, I would like to stop taking her.
What would be the best solutions to empty these memory cards (photo and video) while traveling?
If there was a way that also allows you to view the raw on a small screen or on an iPhone...
best regards,
Alain (from France)

Conner999

I tether to an iPad (13" M1 Pro) with our X1D2 (Phocus 2) and Fuji (C1 Mobile). Works brilliantly and is very fast.

However, you can also just transfer files RAW to/from the iPad using the 'File' app with a card reader and suitable Type-c cable. Just ensure cable is data-capable (some are power only) and even then - test. The iPad firmware software can be fussy on cables.

Conner999

I forgot to mention that the little white Apple Type-C SD card reader works seamlessly to transfer files.

When shooting untethered, I'll backup to the iPad while we're packing up gear on location. Plug in the card reader, open the 'Files' app, select the card folder and images, drag over and let it do it's thing. It's FAST.

You can also do use with some iPhone versions, but mine is ancient and unlikely to run the required iOs, so have never tried it. 

brian

I used to own a Sanho Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA1 Multimedia Player which not only back up a card in the field, but also you could view the images on a 3.5" TFT color display - it was very useful - but I am not sure if it has been discontinued because I cannot seem to find a supplier. Perhaps someone can or even find an alternative - in which case I would be very interested to know more.

JCM-Photos

I had a long time a Sanho Hyperdrive and it worked fine, I even updated once by myself the hard disk capacity.
Some years ago I replaced the Sanho by a "2 TB DJI/LaCie Copilot" that is fantastic as it can work standalone on battery just for backing up a SD card but can also be tethered to my iPad Pro enabling full screen culling, post treatment on Affinity mobile, backup on iCloud etc... The iPad also manages all Copilot functions, automatic firmware updates ...

For me it's the lightest and smallest solution when traveling.

https://www.youtube.com/live/GN_etCYkWwU?feature=share
Sharpen your eyes not your files

ALAIN