X2D tethering problems

Previous topic - Next topic

avedon1961

I have problem to work with my x2d tetheres to my new mac mini with M1 processor and ventura: it connects and shows on phovcus, but, though I press SKIP to enable tethering mode, every 10 secs the message to choice MASS STORAGE /SKIP appears again  and again. Changed cable (it works fine with my H6D100), reset to factory settings, take out the battery: no results. Any suggestion? Thanks

CedV

I have had many tethering problems with the X2D.

But this is one thing I might help you with. The connection reliability has improved since I've switched to IQ Wire cables. I was a long time TetherTools user: H6D, X1DII, other brands,... even over long distances. But the protocol of the X2Ds doesn't seem to work well with their cables. I suspect it has something to do with the USB-charging functionality. It cannot be switched off in the menu. But I've no proof of this. It's just the one thing I cannot eliminate through trial and error.

Oh, don't forget to zoom in and check every shot on the computer. I've had photos vanish into thin air. No data on the computer, nothing on the SSD/card. If this happens, reboot Phocus. Especially when changing batteries or switching the camera on and off. Always reconnect and reboot.

glaiben

Not sure if this might be it, but the X2D's USB-C port does not seem to grip my TetherTools cable tightly.  Mine fits loosely and wiggles within the port.  Could this be a problem re-triggering the message?  A forum member 3D printed a strain relief protector and sells them https://www.ebay.com/itm/266051560930 (no relationship - just a satisfied customer).

...gregg

Michael H. Cothran

Interesting. I bought the TetherTools TetherBlock Arca Swiss for my X2D. It takes the pressure off the cord, keeps it in place, and seems to stabilize the connection with the camera.

avedon1961

I have the therertools tethrblock screwed under my x2d to lock the cable, but it doesn't seem to solve the problem. Where I can find the IQ wire cables?

Marked

Hello Guys, I had the same problem with a new thethertools 4,6 m cable. Asking Hasselblad support (Beatrice), it appears that that cable is just too long to make it work and you end up with repeating pop up window (mass storage or skip). As a work around I have an iPad with Phocus Mobile for remote triggering. The downsite is the lack of live view, that would be a very welcome improvement. You can also use the usb cable that comes with the camera, but that's only 1 meter.

avedon1961

Thank you, CedV. I bought an IQ WIRE cavle: problem solved!!!! Thank you thank you thank you

cjj2003

Quote from: glaiben on February 24, 2023, 09:07:08 AM
Not sure if this might be it, but the X2D's USB-C port does not seem to grip my TetherTools cable tightly.  Mine fits loosely and wiggles within the port.  Could this be a problem re-triggering the message?  A forum member 3D printed a strain relief protector and sells them https://www.ebay.com/itm/266051560930 (no relationship - just a satisfied customer).

...gregg

Thanks for the shout out, Gregg! I'm the one that 3d prints these tethering blocks. It works well for physically holding the cable in place but sometimes I still get dropped connections when I'm using longer cables. I'm going to try the IQ cable with my tethering block and see how it works!

cjj2003

I'm happy to report that the IQ cable with my cable protector is a match made in heaven. This weekend I shot about 4k images tethered and didn't have a single disconnect or lost image! The only issue is that the plug on the IQ is a little larger than normal so I had to alter my design. If anyone one would like one, DM me or place an order for one on my ebay link and message me which cable(s) you are using (https://www.ebay.com/itm/266051560930).

FloridaSnook

I have not been successful in getting my X2D to tether to my MBP and Lightroom Classic. I tried the USB C cable that came with the camera and I tried a TetherTools USB C cable with no luck. I ordered and received the IQ Cable just today but still cannot get Lightroom Classic to recognize the X2D. Anyone have any magic solutions?
Michael Crapps
Plant City, Florida  USA
X2D 100C  |  XCD 2,5/38V  |  XCD 2,5/55V  |  XCD 2,5/90V
Nikon Z9, D850, and multiple Nikkor lenses
www.michaelcrapps.com

Conner999

Also moved to IQWire (X1D2) and highly recommend them. Reliable, data only, built-in boosters (ready for power) and much more flexible than TT units. The more flexible cable means a small movement in the cable doesn't tend to move the ends around, putting stress on the cable where it attaches to any retaining device(s) or the camera/computer/ipad connector.

fh29

Quote from: FloridaSnook on July 25, 2023, 11:52:48 AM
I have not been successful in getting my X2D to tether to my MBP and Lightroom Classic. I tried the USB C cable that came with the camera and I tried a TetherTools USB C cable with no luck. I ordered and received the IQ Cable just today but still cannot get Lightroom Classic to recognize the X2D. Anyone have any magic solutions?
Isn't the lightroom tether plugin deprecated ?

FloridaSnook

Quote from: fh29 on July 26, 2023, 06:30:55 AM

I have seen YouTube videos of X2D users tethering to Lightroom Classic (if it's on the Internet it must be true)....I may have to look at buying Capture.
Michael Crapps
Plant City, Florida  USA
X2D 100C  |  XCD 2,5/38V  |  XCD 2,5/55V  |  XCD 2,5/90V
Nikon Z9, D850, and multiple Nikkor lenses
www.michaelcrapps.com

fh29

Quote from: FloridaSnook on July 26, 2023, 07:10:12 AM
Quote from: fh29 on July 26, 2023, 06:30:55 AM

I have seen YouTube videos of X2D users tethering to Lightroom Classic (if it's on the Internet it must be true)....I may have to look at buying Capture.
AFAIK, as of today, neither Lightroom nor C1 allow you to tether your X2D. Phocus is the only option.
There are workarounds with watched folders if you want to load the files automatically in Lightroom, but that's not tethering per se.