Canon Lens Won't Manually Focus On X2D

Previous topic - Next topic

bmarcin

I just received my new Hasselblad X2D with a 45mm f4 HBD lens from B&H Photo. I have a set of very good Canon EF lenses so I also wanted to get an adapter. B&H didn't have the $400 Techart EF lens adapter in stock so the B&H rep recommended this one instead: the FotodioX Canon EOS Lens to Hasselblad XCD-Mount Camera Adapter. This adapter is only a hundred bucks so I knew that I would lose any electronic connections but figured I could work with it in manual mode on the X2D. My Cannon EF 24-105 and the adapter fit perfectly on the X2D. I turned on the X2D's electronic shutter so the X2D would recognize the lens. I also set the focal length to 45mm via the X2D menu for image stabilization. However, I could not manually focus the lens at all. Is there something basic that I'm missing? I've never done this before. Thanks very much, Ben

Conner999

My guess (and it's just that has do not have that lens) is the EF lens is focus by wire (the focus ring is effectively a directional switch vs. connected mechanically) and the adapter is not supplying the power needed.

davidjiang

Below are some Canon EF lenses need focus-by-wire
EF 85mm f/1.2 L
EF 85mm f/1.2 L II
EF 50mm f/1 L
EF 28-80mm f/2.8-4 L USM
EF 200mm f/1.8 L USM
EF 300mm f/2.8 L USM
EF 400mm f/2.8 L USM
EF 400mm f/2.8 L II USM

My 24L, 135L, 180L as well as 4 L zooms manual focus on X2D without problems (using non-electronic adapter)

Frankvth

Hi! Can you send me a photo (or place it here) of the vignetting of Canon lenses?

I'm trying to put something together and i might be only able to put it trough a canon lens.. now i understand that there's going to be vignetting but i would like to have a file before going this route.

Thanks!
F