X1D II 50C overheating

Previous topic - Next topic

aaitken

Hi all,

New to the forum, the wealth of information has been very handy!

I bought this camera 2nd hand about a year ago and it's been brilliant. I've used it a few times for work but today I was shooting (in a warm space 30-33 Celsius) tethered with a flash trigger and it had to shut down from over heating on about 4 occasions. Has anyone else struggled with similar issues?

After leaving it to cool for 15-20 minutes it was okay to use for another 30 mins or so. I obviously don't want to use the camera at that threshold but the client was waiting (and were luckily patient). That was the first time I had done a full shoot tethered, so just curious if anyone else has experienced that.

Thanks

ashdown

Mine overheated once in similar circumstances (warm studio shooting intensively with strobes). The batteries seem to get fairly hot and the aluminium case while acting as an effective heat sink also spreads heat to the electronics. The battery stays warm if the camera is left turned on even when not shooting. If you put the camera to sleep with a quick touch of the power button whenever you pause it will help it cool down and save battery too.

aaitken

Thanks for the input. My shoot wasn't intense per se, it was still life with one strobe, so I was a little surprised by it shutting down, even in that heat (relative to other cameras I've used).

I was putting it to sleep whenever I could but alas, it still suffered.