How to prevent Phocus strong noise reduction?

Previous topic - Next topic

dancook

Phocus does some processing before the sliders take effect and it destroy detail when it comes to underexposed high ISO images.

If I reduce the height of the phocus window I can see the noisy purplish image I'd expect, and then maybe I'd turn it black and white etc..

But if I maximise, or just increase the phocus window I see what it's actually done, destroyed the detail in the image to reduce noise and fix colour

and finally if I export either way, I get a blurry image

How do I prevent this over-zealous destruction of detail?

tenmangu81

It is possible to make a preset. This is what I have done : I have set noise reduction and sharpness to zéro. You cand o this by clicking on the symbol on the top right of each tool and "create preset...".
Robert

dancook

Quote from: tenmangu81 on February 18, 2023, 06:41:44 AM
It is possible to make a preset. This is what I have done : I have set noise reduction and sharpness to zéro. You cand o this by clicking on the symbol on the top right of each tool and "create preset...".

You're referring to the sliders on the right? even if I disable the entire category or ensure sharpness and NR is set to zero, it's the same.

dancook

Added to that, how can you process something if it drastically changes when the window is slightly resized

https://watch.screencastify.com/v/wBvCvroVC8M82S76B3pF

dancook

Two images, first one (sharper one) is lightroom output.

I have not applied any noise reduction or made any changes to sliders, I have adjusted the EV just enough to see what's going on.

JCM-Photos

Is this for Hasselblad RAW files
or for other camera brands RAW files on Mac ?

In the second case it doesn't come from Phocus but from Apple
Sharpen your eyes not your files

dancook

Quote from: JCM-Photos on February 18, 2023, 09:55:51 AM
Is this for Hasselblad RAW files
or for other camera brands RAW files on Mac ?

In the second case it doesn't come from Phocus but from Apple

it's imported directly from Hasselbad X2D to Phocus on PC.

here's a more direct comparison, mushy phocus vs lightroom.

I suspect Phocus has an inbuilt image quality optimisation it runs first which looks great for the majority of files, but it's heavy handed when it comes to high ISO images. This is particularly extreme file because it's also purposely underexposed to mimic a push to 50k-100k ISO

dancook

dancook

It seems the issue is down to my own configuration of Phocus, since someone else processed the file in Phocus and it was 'relatively' sharp - certainly not the mush my phocus defaults to.

JCM-Photos

You should contact Hasselblad support in Sweden.
A few years ago I had sometimes big issues with strong green color shifting on some files and big grain. It was specific on my machine, Windows and Phocus versions.
Hasselblad gave me direct contact to a Phocus developper, I sent him examples of files, prints, log files, during 2 weeks we were regularly in contact. He found the problem and soon one Phocus update after it was gone.
Sharpen your eyes not your files