Infinity focus on heritage V lenses

Previous topic - Next topic

Helwin

When used with the X1D, I notice that I only get real sharp images at infinity from my 250 SA and not from the Planar 80 CT* or the Sonnar 150 CT*.
I wonder if this is because only the 250 SA can be focused past infinity.

The 250 SA is on par with the XCD 135+ Extender. The Planar 80 is TACK sharp in the near and middle range, but when focusing to infinity with live view, it seems I hit the lenseĀ“s hard infinity stop just before the image is perfectly in focus.
All of my lenses have recently had a CLA.
Any ideas?

JCM-Photos

I guess you have a tolerance problem with you adapter ring.

I use many different adapter rings on my Hasselblad cameras,
a Mamiya lens adapter has a real problem like this and is not able to focus beyond 50 m, it should be shorter of about several 1/10 mm.
Another Mamiya lens adapter from Kippon is dead on.
My 3 different Hasselblad branded adapters for V H X-Pan are all dead on.
The Novoflex Nikon lenses adapter is intentionally shorter than needed and goes a little bit beyond infinity. A Novoflex leaflet joined to the adapter mentions it as a mean to be sure to go to infinity with all lenses.

Yes the finest details of my of my XCD135 + extender are on par with my 250SA on the 50 Mpix sensor, it seems the 250SA should be even finer on the 100 Mpix sensor, but the contrast of the 250SA is a little bit lower than the XCD combination (what's a good thing for me).

Results from the wide open 250SA + 2x Mutar blows my mind it's fabulous, and a second hand 2x Mutar isn't that expensive !
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Helwin

Quote from: JCM-Photos on January 18, 2023, 03:38:10 AM
I guess you have a tolerance problem with you adapter ring.

Oh the XV adapter, you could be right....

I do not have the possibility to try another one... can the lenses be "detuned" intentionally so they go past infinity? :P

Quote from: JCM-Photos on January 18, 2023, 03:38:10 AM
Yes the finest details of my of my XCD135 + extender are on par with my 250SA on the 50 Mpix sensor, it seems the 250SA should be even finer on the 100 Mpix sensor, but the contrast of the 250SA is a little bit lower than the XCD combination (what's a good thing for me).

Results from the wide open 250SA + 2x Mutar blows my mind it's fabulous, and a second hand 2x Mutar isn't that expensive !

I own a Mutar, but tried it only once with the Tessar 500, gives lots of fringes. Will test with the 250SA.

JCM-Photos

The 250 SA is a very special lens with one calcium fluorite element and quite zero CA from near UV to IR. It's a true IR lens developed on request of the NASA

So even multiplied by 2 by the Mutar the quite 0 native lens CA remains quite 0 it can only the extenders own CA what is imo extremely low

You see attached a Hasselblad internal data sheet comparing CA from Sonnar 250 (in blue) VS 250 superachromat (in grey difficult to see near zero)

visible light goes from 0.4 to 0.7
Sharpen your eyes not your files