X2D with tilt shift lens

Previous topic - Next topic

MGrayson

Quote from: Mudlup on February 23, 2024, 02:06:55 AMIs there a TS lens built for medium format cameras that will fit on the X2D?
I know of some shift lenses, but not tilt/shift. The Mamiya 645 50mm shift and the Pentax 67 75mm shift. There's probably a Hartblei that would connect.

Ralf

I ordered this thing.  Unfortunately it's probably still stuck at customs.  I would like to use it with the 50 Distagon for tilting.  I'm looking forward to the results.

Hartblei 8° TILT Adapter Hasselblad V Lens to Hasselblad X1D X2D 907X Camera gibt's bei eBay!
https://www.ebay.de/itm/285016441728?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=707-127634-2357-0&ssspo=l93mJGnkS8K&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=4sB79xqPS2u&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

NickT

Matt I very much doubt it.
I was involved in the development of the HTS and it was a seriously complicated thing to achieve, I suspect that's it's just too niche a product.
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

MGrayson

Follow-up on the Mamiya 645 50mm shift lens. I got a second copy that was much better. I'd not hesitate to use it for architecture or panoramas. Disclaimer: I tested it at 12mm shift. I'll go again at 16mm and see how the quality drops off.

Here is the edge of the old copy - the red line marks the edge of the unshifted image.

Here's the same for the new copy

Both at f/11 on an X2D, crops are 1200 pixels wide, so likely larger on screen.

Alas, older lenses can have histories.

Matt

Edit: I repeated the experiment with newer lens and 15mm shifts. tl;dr - Sharp to 10mm at f/11, starts to blur a bit beyond that

Whole pano:

1200 pixel crops
10mm shift at the green line (sorry, bad light)

15mm shift. Remember, this is from a 4 meter wide print at this magnification.

MGrayson

Ok, here's a real photo and not a test. X2D, Mamiya 645 50mm shift lens at f/11. Late afternoon.

Matt

yvette

Quote from: MGrayson on February 19, 2024, 12:44:58 PM
Quote from: yvette on February 19, 2024, 12:26:41 PMDoes anyone know what the Mamiya 645 50mm lens would be equivalent to on the X2D?  I'm also wondering about the Pentax 45mm and 55mm.  I'm needing a wider angle tilt shift for the X2D but getting confused about the focal length conversions from these cameras to the Hasselblad.  Can anyone explain?  Thank you!!
The focal lengths don't change. It's a 50mm lens with shift. I have one, and my copy is not great (I've ordered another one). It's fine unshifted, but gets smeared in the corners with small amounts of shift. The best wide angle solution I've found is the Pentax 645 35mm A (manual focus only) lens on a tilt-shift adapter. The Mamiya 645 35mm lens is also not great (again, my copy). For adapted 645 lenses, I'd go Pentax 645 for lenses 150mm and shorter, and Mamiya 645 for anything longer (or any ULD or APO lens). Ok, the Pentax 645 400/5.6 ED-IF is sharp and light. Old Hasselblad V lenses and Pentax 67 lenses also work well, but the former are more expensive and the latter are heavy.

I'm assuming you have to use the Electronic Shutter for either of these lenses, the Pentax 67 or Mamiya?  Thanks!

MGrayson

Quote from: yvette on February 28, 2024, 05:41:23 AM
Quote from: MGrayson on February 19, 2024, 12:44:58 PM
Quote from: yvette on February 19, 2024, 12:26:41 PMDoes anyone know what the Mamiya 645 50mm lens would be equivalent to on the X2D?  I'm also wondering about the Pentax 45mm and 55mm.  I'm needing a wider angle tilt shift for the X2D but getting confused about the focal length conversions from these cameras to the Hasselblad.  Can anyone explain?  Thank you!!
The focal lengths don't change. It's a 50mm lens with shift. I have one, and my copy is not great (I've ordered another one). It's fine unshifted, but gets smeared in the corners with small amounts of shift. The best wide angle solution I've found is the Pentax 645 35mm A (manual focus only) lens on a tilt-shift adapter. The Mamiya 645 35mm lens is also not great (again, my copy). For adapted 645 lenses, I'd go Pentax 645 for lenses 150mm and shorter, and Mamiya 645 for anything longer (or any ULD or APO lens). Ok, the Pentax 645 400/5.6 ED-IF is sharp and light. Old Hasselblad V lenses and Pentax 67 lenses also work well, but the former are more expensive and the latter are heavy.

I'm assuming you have to use the Electronic Shutter for either of these lenses, the Pentax 67 or Mamiya?  Thanks!

Yep. Electronic shutter only. IBIS makes that merely annoying and not fatal. Or a tripod helps.

Michael Erlewine

I have tilt-shift lenses in the Nikon System. However, for my X2D, I use a technical camera, that Cambo Actus Mini G which has a plate that will accept the X2D camera, and you can put whatever you want on the other end. I have a number of Large Format lenses that I use and the results are very good using the X2D's 100 mpx sensor. While tilt-shift lenses do tilt and shift, they are nowhere near close to what we can do with a technical camera. Here is a photo of the Night Blooming Cereus in the Nikon system.

Ralf

The variant of a tilt or shift adapter that uses Hasselblad V 6x6 lenses has the advantage that these lenses have sufficient image circle available.  The disadvantage is that 40 or 50mm focal length on the Hasselblad x is not really wide-angle.  That's why I find these shift adapters rather uninteresting.  But I have the Hartblei tilt adapter with the 50mm Distagon.  The tilt mechanism can be operated precisely using the gear screw.  The cyan focus peaking shows that the focus is on the front edge of the cabinet.  You can also pan in opposite directions to reduce the field of focus and get a look like a macro photo.