Phocus mobile2 and current iPad Compatibility

Previous topic - Next topic

iainPS

This is possibly a daft question, sincere apologies if that is the case ...

I know that the advice on the Hasselbald web site says that Phocus Mobile 2 is only 'compatible' with the iPad Pro and iPad Air 2019 models ... however, I'm wondering how up to date this information actually is? The advice seems to be pretty outdated to me especially since it refers to 2019 iPad models.  I have recently loaded PM2 on to a late-2022 iPad mini and it appears to load, run and, looking at the demo images, I get the impression it is fully working.  Does anyone else use PM2 on a recent iPad mini?  what are your experiences? Is this use case ill-advised, if so why?

The other issue I have is that currently, I cannot full test PM2 fully on either of my iPads because the camera I have is an X2D ... and that does not work at all with PM2 on an iPad at the moment and won't do so until (I assume) the next firmware update. Is that true or am I also having daft newbie user issues too?

Why bother with an iPad mini when I also have an iPad Pro you may ask? Simple ... the current iPad mini is really powerful, lightweight, small and easily fits in my camera bag :-)

Many thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.  Also, Happy New Year to you all ...   

JCM-Photos

I have a very old IPad-Pro 12.9" 512 Go 2nd gen with Apple Pencil 1st gen and PM2 works fine and fast with my 907X
PM2 is not compatible with my X1D I that needs PM1, and I run it on the same iPad Pro as well as the Leica remote software and the complete Affinity Suite with Designer, Photo, Publisher.

No problem at all and will keep my old iPad as long as possible.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

iainPS

Thanks for your reply JCM-Photos :-) ... my casual observation too is that PM2 on an iPad is pretty impressive performance wise.  I totally agree with you.

I suppose my long winded question is really asking about the current iPad mini and PM2 ... Seems like the current iPad mini (late-2022) is at least as powerful as the 'old' iPad Air and possibly iPad Pro, the resolution is higher, processor faster, higher memory etc but screen size smaller. 

I'm not sure if Hasselblad have actually restricted PM2 use to 2019+ iPad Airs and Pro models only, or if its what they said at the time of launching PM2 and never got around to updating the small print published online. However, I cant really see why an iPad mini wouldn't work. 

My question really is ... does anyone use an iPad mini with PM2 and an x1Dii which shouldn't work according to Hasselblad, but does it actually work?

JCM-Photos

I appreciate very much the big 12.9" screen of my iPad-Pro when shooting with my Hasselblad X gear, I would not ne happy using a smaller iPad screen

Justin

My iPad Mini 5, PM2 and X1D II all work together perfectly and seamlessly.

Justin

The images look good on the iPad Mini screen and it's plenty big enough for me to review images during or at the end of the day, rate them, check focus, delete, make minor edits and e-mail any that need to be seen quickly.

Justin

I got my iPad mini 5 in mid-2021 and PM2 has always worked on it, so I don't understand why it isn't on Hasselblad's compatibility list.

SeanRL

Has anyone figured out a way to use iPad, X1D-1, PM1 with wired setup?

Issue for me is that the battery life is too short with X1D-1 for wireless. Need that turned off.

Sean

seen

I have an iPad Air 4th gen, which shall be compatible with my X1D ii, but unfortunately I can only make it work wireless not with an USB-C cable. Any help or tip is appreciated.

iainPS

Many thanks Justin ... thats a really helpful response !! Exactly what I wanted to know.

The confusion comes from Hasselblad themselves really.  The manual for Phocus Mobile (PM2 - page 113) says 'for the image editing functionality an iPad Pro or one of the most recent 2019 iPad Air models with more than 2GB RAM are required' ... while the X2D 100c Manual (page 108) says 'Phocus Mobile 2 is compatible with iPad models with 3GB of RAM or more and with iPhone X or later models running iOS 15.0 or later' ... although in reality, PM2 on an iPad doesn't work at all with the X2D, not yet anyway as far as I know.

The fact that you manage to use the iPad mini v5 with X1dii files gives me some hope that it will come though :-)

Thanks again

Justin

You're very welcome, Iain. Out of interest, I checked the oracle that is the Mactracker app for the specifications on all Apple hardware and the iPad Mini 5 has exactly 3GB of RAM.

Justin

Right at the bottom of the main X2D page on the Hasselblad website, there is a note saying: " The Phocus Mobile 2 app is not currently compatible with the X2D 100C. A compatible version will be available soon. Check the app for updates." It seems that Hasselblad is also hoping that it will come through...!

JCM-Photos

Today I became a Mobile 2 update that says that it's is now compatible with the X2D, on iPad as well as iPhone

baudolino_CZ

Quote from: JCM-Photos on February 02, 2023, 10:07:49 AM
Today I became a Mobile 2 update that says that it's is now compatible with the X2D, on iPad as well as iPhone

Yep, downloaded Phocus Mobile 2, synced with the X2D and it works. Fast and intuitive. Terrific!

fti9748

I have connected an iPad Pro (M1) to the X2D. Both have been updated - software on the ipad, firmware on the X2D. But Phocus2 never finds the camera.

Are their additional steps or is it supposed to be plug and play.