Phocus optimised DNG export

Previous topic - Next topic

ashdown

I'd absolutely love an automated function in Phocus to export files with all Hasselblad's HNS, sensor calibration and lens corrections etc baked into a DNG file that can then be developed in your raw processor of choice. Even better, an option to do it in camera.

SrMi

Yes, that would be great. It would have to be a linear DNG (demosaiced but still scene-referred), which would continue to have all the benefits of a raw file. DxO does something similar. The disadvantage is the increased file size (about 3x).

hcubell

A couple of months ago I actually sent an email to the US head of Technical Services for Hasselblad urging Hasselblad to do exactly this, and referenced DXO's Pure Raw software as what appears to be an example of this approach. The powerful new masking tools that have been introduced in LR over the past year have dramatically changed what can be accomplished in LR compared to Phocus for making precise, selective adjustments of color and tones in a photograph. There is just no way that Hasselblad can keep up anymore in making Phocus a competitive alternative. It makes much more sense technically and financially for Hasselblad to create a version of Phocus that is limited to what it can do best with a raw file, preserve that file as a raw file and let the photographer take it to LR for the rest of the raw processing using LR for what it does best.
I would suggest moving this thread to the Phocus Subforum here, as it would have much more visibility there.

JCM-Photos

quality of lens corrections is not a file format feature (all lens corrections parameters are in all files formats)

it's a software feature, and Hasselblad did a much more broader and deeper job assessing what has to be corrected with different apertures, distances within a very detailed correction grid. Adobe makes less detailed and precise corrections in it's own products.

Phocus does the best possible optical corrections on X System cameras automatically with all X and H lenses, and with entering manually parameters : lens type, focusing distance, shooting aperture, for most Zeiss C CF and F lenses and all 3 X-Pan lenses.

Phocus lens corrections make a fantastic job with the CFV 50C II on 500 bodies with modern CF lenses that give after correction quite as fine details as X lenses with a tad less contrast that in many cases makes  them look very flatering.
X-Pan lenses that do a relatively low impression without Phocus corrections, have much more enjoyable results after correction.

I'self use on a regular basis all 3 x-Pan lenses, CF 50 FLE, CF 80 2.8, CF 180, CF 250 Super Achromat a very special lens with a bit finer details than XCD 135 + extender and with a very enjoyable slightly lower contrast.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Juan Pascual Garrido

Friends, I admire the patience you have with the unrealible Phocus and its bugs.

JCM-Photos

You have just to understand that most people don't have reliability or bug complaints about it even if some people can have problems.

Once Only it happened to me. I contacted Hasselblad who was very reactive. A software engineer contacted me and I had to document very deeply the problem with hardware specs , OS / software log files, image files in different states of treatment, print scans...
The whole process lastet about 2 or 3 week with regular contacts with the engineer.
After this time it was clear that the problem startet after a Windows update directly in windows or indirectly by another application software update that modified something in the OS / hardware, graphical card pilot operating balance that did not comply with Phocus.
They searched in this direction and after an additional week they found the solution the problem was gone in the next Phocus update.

Charles2

What raw processor makes use of "Hasselblad's HNS and sensor calibration" information? And wouldn't Hasselblad need to keep up with the Lightroom format of that data at a minimum?

JCM-Photos

Hasselblad licenses Adobe to use all their file infos and as far as I can understand dng format specifications can take account of all.

But each software builder has his own different default rendering, so Adobe, Capture One, Phocus etc. have different default renderings