H1D22

Previous topic - Next topic

m burden

I was going to venture into the world of medium format digital and was considering the purchase of a pre owned H1D 22 (budget restrictions).
I usualy shoot location portraits with lighting and a bit of still life so I'm not going to be pushing it to the extremes.
Does anyone want to share their experiences of this camera good/bad and any quirks I should look out for

NickT

Welcome Marc
A few random thoughts:
The H1D uses the Image bank, (won't work without) so you'll need to be aware that you'll either have that on your tripod or belt.
It's powered by Sony "L" type batteries which are pretty easy to find (there are also non generic copies which are MUCH cheaper but can have poor contact/fit), or a computer.
Expect to see moire in fabrics, Phocus is excellent at removing moire, but it does take processing time.
The experience of medium format is quite different if you haven't shot with it before, certainly slower and more considered, much bigger viewfinder which is great but only one AF point..
That's all I can think of for now, i have a food shoot to do, hopefully others will chime in.
Cheers
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Mats E

Marc,

if going for second hand, why not look for an H2D-22 or upgraded H3D-22 and you will avoid the problems with external HDD as correctly pointed out by Nick. Life will definitively be much easier for you and it will always be your call whether you want to shoot tethered or not. Before upgrading to H3DII-50, I had an H3D-22 and was very happy with the system. You will be estonished by the quality compared to any full format 35 mm.

Good luck and enjoy a new dimension of shooting.

Mats
Mats