X2D file processing - RAW vs TIFF. Phocus -> C1 vs Lightroom

Previous topic - Next topic

maxct

I use both Capture One and Lightroom, but am considering switching to C1 entirely.  However, as everyone knows, C1 doesn't process Hasselblad files natively. 

What I am thinking of doing is first importing my RAW files into Phocus for automatic lens corrections and color profiling, and then converting those files to 16-Bit TIFFs for importing into and further post-processing in Capture One.

So my question is: how much latitude and file quality am I giving up by post-processing the TIFFs in C1 vs. using Lightroom to post-process my X2D files in RAW instead?  For example, are blownout highlights that may be recoverable in the RAW just gone in the converted TIFF (although for that use case I can always adjust overexposure in Phocus)?  Are there other image degradation issues as well?  While I hear about the quality and flexibility differences between processing RAW and JPEG files, I am trying to get a better sense of what, if anything, I am giving up by doing my main post-processing on TIFFs as outlined above.

Thanks!

Peter

JCM-Photos

Hasselblad RAW have such a high quality level that they only need minimal Phocus corrections without any other further treatment.

I nave Phocus, Capture One and Affinity Photo, and more than 9 out of 10 Hasselblad files are perfect out of Phocus.
When a file needs more, I export a 16 bit TIFF that goes in Affinity
I use C1 for my Nikon or Leica RAW files.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

man-overboard

Agreed I just tried Affinity Photo V2 and was pleasantly surprised that it opened a .3FR file and export to TIFF-16 bit and I am really pleased with the result. So I have now Phocus and Affinity Photo to work on the Hasselblad files.

maxct

Thanks - I also use a Phase One back so I use C1 for that.  Hence I was going to concentrate all my post-processing in C1 if possible.

SrMi

The suggested approach to pass TIFF files to C1 is reasonable and similar to what many professional photographers use with Photoshop.

If you export TIFF from Phocus without additional adjustments, you will have at least less highlight recovery than the raw files. Therefore, applying certain simple adjustments before exporting is important: apply necessary recovery and adjust endpoints in the histogram.

tenmangu81

I agree with SrMi. It's far better to make most of the adjustments on RAWs, as TIFFs are known to be less flexible.
Robert