X2D with the old lenses

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennersten

Are there any shortcut to swich between autofocus and manual focus with the old lenses. Now i am doing that on the screen.

JCM-Photos

I don't know any old (discontinued) X lens
All Hasselblad X lenses are fully compatible with all 6 X camera models: 2 X1D Mark1 models , 1 X2D model, 3 907X models, 1 X2D model

X cameras have a physical button on the top (on the grip for the 907x) you just press once to toggle between MF and AF, this button falls under the finger even with the eye on the viewfinder.

The best practice all photographers agree with, is to switch AF from the release to the back button and operate in MF, when pressing the backbutton the camera focuses and the focus stays, if you want minimal correction you just turn the lens focus ring and at that moment the viewfinder automatically zooms  to 50% or 100% for manual focusing And zooms back as soon as you tip on the release button.

Before focusing with AF you place the AF spot with the eye on the viewfinder, using the AF trackpad (or joystick with the 907 grip).

Personally I use the lower right part as trackpad and operate it with the right thumb.
When not used to the trackpad it is more easy beginning with a larger area, lower sensitivity.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

mar-ko

Quote from: Dennersten on October 17, 2022, 09:22:57 PM
Are there any shortcut to swich between autofocus and manual focus with the old lenses. Now i am doing that on the screen.
To toggle AF/MF on the X2D, press the "Focus Mode Button" to the left of the lens, "opposite" the "Lens Removal Button". Unless you assigned a different function to it, of course.

mikaelo67

Focus mode button as said. Short press switches between manual and auto. Longer press enables the focus point to be moved with the wheels.

Dennersten

Wow, thanks! Had no idea, about the button! OK the i guess I am keeping a few of my "old" lenses.

Andy Miller Photo UK

Quote from: Dennersten on October 17, 2022, 09:22:57 PM
Are there any shortcut to switch between autofocus and manual focus with the old lenses. Now i am doing that on the screen.
YES -- don't sent the Camera to AF, just put in in MF mode and use the AF-D to AF the lens. Currently with the X2D ONLY offering AF-S --- not AF-C -- there is no reason I can see to use AF mode, because all this does is remove one's ability to focus and recompose - as when in AF mode the camera seeks to find focus when the shutter button is pressed. 

tenmangu81

Yes, but when you focus only half pressing the shutter release, the focusing is kept, and you can recompose your frame.
Robert