•  X2D and third-party lenses 

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimitric

Hello -

First of all and to be clear, I really don't want to enter the "it has no sense to use a FF lens with an MF sensor/camera" discussion...

I come here to share my young experience with the combo X2D and the Canon® f2.8 16-35 Zoom (3rd generation) via a Techart® adaptor.

Overall it works the same way as it does with the X1DII, so no surprises there   ;D

Where the surprises start:

• There is NO focus point displayed on the screen (there is only the zoom to help you to make a correct focus).
  • The camera starts with the error "Lens issue. Please reconnect the lens".
  • Unlike the X1DII, the X2D does NOT recognize the aperture (it displays "f--"), and it seems to be stuck at f2.8 (I tried on a Canon 5DmkIII to open at f8 and then put the lens back on the X2D, but it doesn't seem to change anything).
  • The green LED does NOT blink when the camera takes a picture.

Plus the thing that SrMi has already said:
"Focus Indicator is unavailable with third-party lenses and adapters (according to my testing). Zoom is the only available MF assist, and it seems to work well with the new EVF."

I was wondering if a Novoflex® ring would make a difference?

That' s it for a first feedback.

SrMi

I would assume that third-party smart adapters need to be updated for X2D.

Dimitric

Hey SrMi -

Techart® seems to be more busy with the new Leica M lenses adaptor for the X2D
than doing something to make their Canon adapter ring work properly with the X2D.

Enjoy your day. 

- Dimitri

sog1927

Not really third-party, but I'm intrigued by the possibility of using the V-series ApoTessar handheld with IBIS. I think it might actually be workable as long as the subject is fairly stationary (esp.in 14-bit mode).

JCM-Photos

bit depth has really nothing to do with image sharpness with or without IBIS, at all.

The problem with third party lenses is rolling shutter, if ibis can correct photographers movement rolling shutter distorsion, it cannot do anything against rolling shutter distorsion against subject movement. So IBIS cannot do miracles with third party lenses.

Once rolling shutter distorsion is under control, the vibrations free electronic shutter let to miracles without IBIS, I repeatadly shoot sharp portraits at 1/10s with the 90mm TT-Artisan on the X1D.
Sharpen your eyes not your files