X2D —> NO focus peaking anymore?

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimitric

Hello -

I was wondering... 

Even I never use it on the X1DII, is the "focus peaking" still available?
Thank you

Enjoy your day.

- Dimitri

glent

It's currently not available as a focusing option. I don't know whether it will be added back as part of a future firmware update. I am currently using zoom magnification when fine focus is needed.

SrMi

In X2D, focus peaking has been replaced by a focus indicator. It works much better than focus peaking.

SrMi

Focus Indicator is unavailable with third-party lenses and adapters (according to my testing). Zoom is the only available MF assist, and it seems to work well with the new EVF.

Photon42

This new focus indicator to my mind misses a precise indication where it looks at. Zoom works very well and even better with the new finder.

SrMi

Quote from: Photon42 on September 24, 2022, 04:32:16 AM
This new focus indicator to my mind misses a precise indication where it looks at. Zoom works very well and even better with the new finder.
I agree that zoom works best, especially since IBIS stabilizes the view through EVF. I find the circle of the focus indicator more annoying than the little focusing square, so I have the MF assist turned off.
I can imagine there are cases where there is no time to zoom, in which case the focus indicator would work better.

JCM-Photos

Focus peaking on the X system is that bad that it cannot be used seriously with lenses under 90mm and no sensitivity tuning.
With 21 mm focal length the whole scene  is always lit when turning the focusing ring from 1m to infinity
It's a shame, as each cheap consumer camera has nice working focus peaking, for example my Nykon Zfc.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

SrMi

Hasselblad said (dealer training) that focus peaking may come in next year's FW update. Hopefully, it will have sensitivity settings.