Pentax 67 lenses on the X1Dii?

Previous topic - Next topic

TimH

Has anyone had success using Pentax 67 lenses on the X1dii?  Both Kipon and FotodioX make adapters, but I haven't seen any user reports.  Thanks. 

Sandro

I've been using the 45mm f/4, 55mm f/4 and 200mm f/4.
All 3 are very good, obviously not comparable to XCD lenses.
I tried the Fotodiox t&s adapter: very loose, at an unacceptable level, I returned it to the dealer.
I finally bought the Kipon t&s adapter: really excellent and with much better ergonomics (the tilt function is much easier to operate), but very expensive.
The coverage of the P67 lenses is what you need for real t&s capabilities on the X1D sensor.

JCM-Photos

Iself use a lot of Mamiya 645 lenses on X cameras and I too made a bad experience with a Fotodiox adapter: not able to focus on infiniti (it stops around 50 m), loose mounts and recently I noticed a wobling Arca swiss foot, I had to correct the foot assembly profile with a file to fit it correctly to the adapter tube, even now the assembly screws are to thin to give a really steady assembly.
My other adapter from Kipon is perfect.

For the shift solution, Mamiya 645 50mm shift lenses can be found cheap (I paid mine around 400,- € ) quality quite as good as the XCD45 and it can be shifted to full extend on X cameras without any problem.

The problem with adapted film MF lenses is the bigger the film format, the longer the focal length and so you loose any real wide angle possibility with lenses coming from big film MF formats. But if you seek for a long focal length big MF format is perfect.

I use also a Zeiss CF Superachromat 250mm, this even today relatively expensive lens is a gem on the X cameras. The only problem is to focus it properly manually, taking time on a tripod, and it exceeds the XCD 135 with extender solution, a little bit less contrast and the finest 1 detail details on the X1D !

Hasselblad make us a nice gift by including in the Phocus software high performance optical corrections dedicated to most C lenses and all three X-Pan lenses. Caveat is that you don't have EXIF datas and you have to note manually focal length, aperture and distance, but the corrections are very impressive.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Sandro

I agree the short focal lenses are not so short on the P67, 45mm being the shortest, without going fisheye. But the 45mm is a good compromise for landscape and architecture.

yvette

Does anyone know what the Mamiya 645 50mm lens would be equivalent to on the X2D?  I'm also wondering about the Pentax 45mm and 55mm.  I'm needing a wider angle tilt shift for the X2D but getting confused about the focal length conversions from these cameras to the Hasselblad.  Can anyone explain?  Thank you!!

MGrayson

Quote from: JCM-Photos on July 28, 2022, 08:11:45 PMFor the shift solution, Mamiya 645 50mm shift lenses can be found cheap (I paid mine around 400,- € ) quality quite as good as the XCD45 and it can be shifted to full extend on X cameras without any problem.

Huh. My Mamiya 645 50m shift is decidedly mediocre when shifted. I wonder if I have a bad copy. Only close to the center is mine in the same ballpark as the XCD 45.

I just ordered another copy. We'll see.... PSA: old medium format lenses are a helluva drug.

pjrankin

I haven't used the 67 lenses but have a Pentax 645 150-300mm and it's been great, I use the fotodiox adapter but I would not recommend it, it feels cheaply made and I've found it lets a tiny light leak in that has to be catered for. I have a Mamiya 645 lens with a Kipon adapter and that adapter is far better built and tighter fit. The Pentax is nice and sharp and very light for a tele and solves the issue of Hasselblad lacking a zoom option on the longer end.

Sandro

Quote from: yvette on February 19, 2024, 12:18:04 PMDoes anyone know what the Mamiya 645 50mm lens would be equivalent to on the X2D?  I'm also wondering about the Pentax 45mm and 55mm.  I'm needing a wider angle tilt shift for the X2D but getting confused about the focal length conversions from these cameras to the Hasselblad.  Can anyone explain?  Thank you!!

If you want to calculate comparison among different formats and focals, trybuse this:  http://www.mat.uc.pt/%7Erps/photos/angles.html

It wilmtell you that a 45mm lens on a X1D sensor is equivalent in width to 50mm full frame, and 55mm is equivalent to 60mm full frame. I don't use crop factors because they are calculated on the diagonal, and if you change image proporrions (fron 645 to 35mm for example), the crop factor is a sort of averahe between width and hight. I prefer to evaluate  the width, the horizontal field of view.

MGrayson

Quote from: yvette on February 19, 2024, 12:18:04 PMDoes anyone know what the Mamiya 645 50mm lens would be equivalent to on the X2D?  I'm also wondering about the Pentax 45mm and 55mm.  I'm needing a wider angle tilt shift for the X2D but getting confused about the focal length conversions from these cameras to the Hasselblad.  Can anyone explain?  Thank you!!
There is no focal length conversion. 50mm is 50mm. It doesn't matter what the sensor size is. If you want to know FoV or "FF equivalent", that's a different matter. But a 50mm lens on a Hassy X will look like any other 50mm lens. If you were a long-time user of the Mamiya 645 film system and wanted to know what lens on THAT system had the same FoV as the 50mm on the Hassy X, the answer would be (56/44)*50mm = 64mm.

FWIW, I got a second copy of the Mamiya 645 50mm shift and it's great. Really sharp, fun, and f/11 lets me shift without worries.

tenmangu81

Quote from: Sandro on March 04, 2024, 11:01:40 AM

If you want to calculate comparison among different formats and focals, trybuse this:  http://www.mat.uc.pt/%7Erps/photos/angles.html

It wilmtell you that a 45mm lens on a X1D sensor is equivalent in width to 50mm full frame, and 55mm is equivalent to 60mm full frame. I don't use crop factors because they are calculated on the diagonal, and if you change image proporrions (fron 645 to 35mm for example), the crop factor is a sort of averahe between width and hight. I prefer to evaluate  the width, the horizontal field of view.

Isn't it the other way round ? It seems to me that 45mm on a 33x44 sensor is equivalent to about 35mm in FF format, and 55mm on a 33x44 is equivalent to a 43mm in FF format.
Robert