H2D Exposure Issue

Previous topic - Next topic

paris

I am reletively new to Medium Format and Hasselblad equipment (picked up a used H2D less than a week ago), The first thing I wanted to do is compare the H2D to my current equipment (Canon 5D mII and 1D mII) to ensure I made the correct decision.

So far I find everything about the H2D superior for my needs, however I have noticed that all my images when compared to both canon cameras appear underexposed by at least one stop. I have to set the exposure compensation to +1 to get a correct exposure. Has anyone else had this problem...or does anyone have any ideas as to what the fault is if any or if its related to the lense, viewfinder or body? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Paris

jeff.grant@pobox.com

I have +1 set permanently. It just seems to be what is needed. It was +0.7 until I put in the grid screen.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

robertpoll

Interesting. I've just compared my H3D with 5D mk I and I see 1/3 stop difference, which I guess you would say is close enough to the same. I did it by just metering off from a grey card by the way.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere though that different camera manufacturers have different view on what is the correct 'mid grey' value - perhaps the meters are set differently. Of course, then there's the question of what a 'correct' exposure is anyway!

...rob
robert poll photography | www.robertpoll.com | +44(0) 7768 466663

NickT

Well assuming ISOs are equal...
What metering modes are you using on the two systems?
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

drjim6

Quote from: paris on November 17, 2009, 11:16:42 PM
I have noticed that all my images when compared to both canon cameras appear underexposed by at least one stop. I have to set the exposure compensation to +1 to get a correct exposure.

I have found exactly the same thing. I use weighted centre measurement and with no compensation I usually find my exposures too dark for my liking. Luckily, the dynamic range of the sensor is such that I can usually compensate in Phocus or Lightroom without losing any detail in either the dark or bright regions (I do mainly landscape).