Histogram in live view

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexg73it

Hi all,
This is what I'd like Hasselblad to implement in future firmware updates: the possibility to see histogram in live view while composing the image. This would allow to keep the histogram in the desired position, without the risk to clip highlights (or shadows).
Keeping fingers crossed...

Bolampau

+1
I agree, it would be really useful to have this function.

sog1927

Alex

+3
Plus it would be helpful if it could be also set to reflect the RAW values as well as those of just the incamera JPEG.
(A useful tool found within the Phase One camera setups).

JCM-Photos

RAW values are in a digital RGGB system that no photographer is able to assess regarding image result !

That's why manufacturer don't do it and why raw softwares too display only developped RGB or Lab values equivalent to JPEG.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Alex

Quote from: JCM-Photos on January 05, 2022, 09:23:57 PM
RAW values are in a digital RGGB system that no photographer is able to assess regarding image result !
True but my point is regarding having a better idea of what is (going to be) captured in the RAW file. We are able to able to do this in programs like Rawdigger.

That's why manufacturer don't do it

Phase One IQ4?

So yes you are correct that RAW images initially need to be converted to Camera RGB first (and then subsequently L*ab).
However to bring the relevance of what you and I are kicking about back to this thread concerning the Live Histogram, I will join the dots;

- Phocus is Hasselblad's RAW file converter for its camera's (3FR, FFF) image files.
- In that program there is a Histogram readout relaying the Hasselblad RGB / LStar RGB values of the images.
- Not withstanding the other stylistic affecting settings, the Base input responses (Factory, Reproduction, Negative, Reproduction Low Gain), set the foundations of how the images and hence histogram will look.
- The input response curve 'Reproduction Low Gain' is a linear curve response that reflects the Baseline Level Exposure* of the RAW file in a similar way (IOW it reflects quite accurately when an exposure highlight will or will not be clipped in the RAW file).
- To have these Input responses along with the resulting measurement readouts (i.e. Histogram), accessible within camera, would do a great deal in giving a more accurate idea of the resultant image one would be reviewing within Phocus.

It would also to a degree lessen the need for tethering to a computer (which is currently the only way one can access these values).

*: https://www.rawdigger.com/howtouse/deriving-hidden-ble-compensation

mmanesh

Vote me in as well.

On this note: I would also be fine with zebras in live view. It makes life so much easier and is part of why I love mirrorless. I noticed how many features I took for granted on the Fuji system... (not talking about focus peaking now).

SrMi

That's why manufacturer don't do it and why raw softwares too display only developped RGB or Lab values equivalent to JPEG.

When shooting raw, the most common role of in-camera histograms is to assess the quality of capture: whether the sensor was exposed to its best and whether relevant highlights are not clipped. The raw histogram is the exact way to do it.