Choice of lens for 1:1 negative repro on 907X + Negative Supply set up

Previous topic - Next topic

Winedemonium

I appreciate that this question has cropped up from time to time looking back through past posts.

My specific situation -
I have the 907X and 4/45P. I have the Negative Supply stand, light source and negative holders (35mm on up). The larger negatives should be fairly easy to reproduce, but the 35mm negatives seem like they will be a challenge.

I see that the native XCD lens - 120mm f/3.5 Macro - will reproduce 1:2. There seems to be a Fotodiox 48mm extension tube, but I have seen some criticism of that. I'd love to hear your experience with either/both if you have used this set up for negative scanning.

This option is expensive enough that it has me exploring other options - other adapted lenses for my 907X, or even an entirely different set up for this purpose. But, if I focus for the moment on adapted options for the 907X, it seems I have

1. Hasselblad's HC macro, with communicative adaptor.
2. Legacy macro glass from large format film days, Hasselblad, Contax, Pentax, etc, adapted. This might ensure coverage, but may or may not be as good as a brand new full frame lens from a current system with good coverage
3. New 35mm DSLR lens, adapted.

(and, as I said, I may buy a 35mm digital camera and native lens combo in the end, but I'd like to see if I can use the 907X for this prior to that).

Of course 1:1 on the 907X is still larger than a 35mm negative, but it's close enough for my purposes, and for the 120mm negatives its obviously more than enough.

Any help here, suggestions, experiences welcomed. Thank you.