Hasselblad XPan 90mm f/4 lens on X1D2

Previous topic - Next topic

rollsman

Has anyone used this lens on the X1D2?  I was thinking of getting one and the adaptor for some portraits. Any suggestions are appreciated
Dennis mansour

wild-light-xpan

I tried it on my X1D and the results were unusable. I persevered with it for many months using the genuine Hasselblad XPan adaptor with no luck. I'm not sure if it was my specific lens, but it would render the left-hand side of the image extremely blurred while the RHS was barely acceptable, no matter where you focused or what aperture was used. Having tried all the Xpan lenses the only one that produces sharp images is the 30mm.

JCM-Photos

X-Pan lenses on X1D is not a good choice.

When buying my X1D body a few years ago my intend was to use it only with my 3 existing compact manual X-Pan lenses I know well as super sharp on the X-Pan.

The result was quite a disaster with poor edge sharpness and the known rolling shutter issue.
The X-Pan 30mm is really better than the 45mm and 90mm but way behind the XCD.

As I first tried an XCD45 I understood that I had to go with XCD lenses.

Hasselblad says that basically the XCD45 optical construction is a digital version of the X-Pan 45, same manufacturer and same engineer, but the edge performance difference is huge.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

rollsman

Thank you all for sharing this.  I will stay with the XCD lenses.   
Dennis mansour

David Mantripp

Sorry to muddy the waters, but I find all XPan lenses give good results. They should do - they are really excellent lenses. The rendering is different to the XCDs, certainly, but different doesn't mean bad.  The new lens corrections in Phocus 3.6 make a VERY noticeable difference.

However ... I don't think I would buy them specifically for the X1D. I already owned all 3 ... and to be honest, the electronic shutter has some serious limitations.

But it sounds like your 90mm has a defect.  Mine is fine across the frame.

JCM-Photos

Oh no
XCD and H lenses have effectively just a slightly different rendering, and one cannot say that H is less sharp then X even if it appears like this when pixel peeping.

But X-Pan lenses are really unsharp in the corners on a digital sensor and are great on film wit even a bigger format size. It's because these lenses were never designed for a thick glass plate behind the lens (IR sensor filter).

Some older film lenses are able to cope fine with sensor filters, others not at all. Some sensor brands also bring less problems,  other more, definitely Hasselblad 50c sensor and X-Pan is not a good fit.
Sharpen your eyes not your files