907x Control Grip

Previous topic - Next topic

adammaizey

Hi all.

I've read somewhere that you can programme the control grip to lock auto exposure in aperture priority mode?

Has anyone achieved this please?

Thanks
Adam

JCM-Photos

Yes it adds this very useful X1D function (among others) that lacks on the 907X without the grip, with a bonus joystick that is not on the X1D. And this joystick is for me the very best I've ever seen on any camera (I hate Nikon joysticks).

You can even program the 4 grip buttons to have the same functions as on the 2 top and 2 rear buttons of your X1D, thus having the same ergonomics.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

adammaizey

Thank you for the reply. I just went and bought the grip, it works perfectly.

JCM-Photos

Th problem for me is that it requires a lot more space in the bag

ramarren

Quote from: JCM-Photos on August 14, 2021, 06:53:51 AM
Th problem for me is that it requires a lot more space in the bag

Yes, it does, as does my fabricated grip as well. It's worth it when you feel you want a grip to help stabilize the camera better.

I like the Control Grip when I'm shooting eye level and using an accessory optical finder. I prefer my fabricated grip when I'm using the camera as a waist level shooter as it is angled correctly to hold the camera that way, with the LCD hinged up to its horizontal position. I don't tend to use AE-Lock or AF-Lock very much.

G

JCM-Photos

I always use AE Lock with spot metering and exposure correction to place the most important image zone to the correct value.

after having locked the exposure the spot meter gives you in the viewfinder the exposure interval between with the spot measured zone and others so you can see if these are within the dynamic range or not.

If not you can retouch the initial exposure correction without unlocking the measured value.

I find this method much more reliable and precise as for example exposing with the live histogram of my Leica.

ramarren

It's always interesting to hear how others work their photo taking methodology.

I often use aperture priority and the EV compensation control to tailor individual exposures. I have the camera normally set to zero the EV Compensation after each exposure. That way I make fewer mistakes, at the expense of some speed in operation.

If the exposure situation is tricky, I switch to manual exposure. And bracket if I think I need to (rare with the Hasselblad).

G