Import to Phocus Mobile 2 from Camera Roll

Previous topic - Next topic

mp1c

Hi everyone!

I have an iPad Air, I imported all my files directly to Lightroom Mobile.

I can export the RAW files from Lr Mobile to my camera roll but can't import them into Phocus from there... so the only way is to copy all the files again?

Best,

JCM-Photos

Why not directly importing from camera to Mobile 2 ?

Mobile 2 does it by itself.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

pss

both LR and photos don't really let you actually "see" your actual files. they are renamed (for internal reference) and stored within their databases. which is why you have to export from these apps to get the files out. you CAN dig around and find the files but it seriously messes with the integrity of the databases.
I agree that it makes little sense to export from LR or photos to import into Phocus. obviously no adjustments will translate over for or from either app to any of the others regardless.

mp1c

Quote from: JCM-Photos on June 10, 2021, 02:34:14 AM
Why not directly importing from camera to Mobile 2 ?

Mobile 2 does it by itself.

Because I don't want to spend the time of importing the files twice, I think is a function that Phocus is missing. Every App lets you browse in you camera roll or Files except for Phocus.

And clearly my RAW files aren't in the card anymore  :) :)

mp1c

Quote from: pss on June 10, 2021, 03:46:52 AM
both LR and photos don't really let you actually "see" your actual files. they are renamed (for internal reference) and stored within their databases. which is why you have to export from these apps to get the files out. you CAN dig around and find the files but it seriously messes with the integrity of the databases.
I agree that it makes little sense to export from LR or photos to import into Phocus. obviously no adjustments will translate over for or from either app to any of the others regardless.

Correct. That is why I have to export the original file to my camera roll first.... but Phocus lacks of the ability to browse there.

I'm not expecting to translate the adjustments... no no... just the .fff.

pss

I am not sure I understand.
whenever you import anything into LR (or cameraroll/photos) the files are in a proprietary database and can only be exported, meaning no matter what if you want them anywhere else, you have to export and end up with duplicates.
when you import raws into phocus on the iPad, they end up in a folder which can be accessed in the files app. but if you import the files into LR or camera roll from there, you also end up with duplicates since LR and photos import originals into their databases.
on the desktop you can use LR classic which uses a folder system (similar to phocus, C1, aperture,...) meaning you can access the folder with the raw files from different applications. since fff files contain all metadata and previews within the one file (and not a xml sidecar like adobe or different folders like C1)  it might not be a good idea to access the same file from different apps and make adjustments? not sure, I don't use LR anymore so I can say.

mp1c

Quote from: pss on June 10, 2021, 05:05:52 PM
I am not sure I understand.
whenever you import anything into LR (or cameraroll/photos) the files are in a proprietary database and can only be exported, meaning no matter what if you want them anywhere else, you have to export and end up with duplicates.
when you import raws into phocus on the iPad, they end up in a folder which can be accessed in the files app. but if you import the files into LR or camera roll from there, you also end up with duplicates since LR and photos import originals into their databases.

The only good thing about Phocus Mobile is the color render you get out of every picture. It's unstable, slow, basic features, etc.

On iPad you end up with duplicates, yes, always.

o2mpx

I've been reading this and other threads relative to file management and must confess not having reached clarity.

What is the path to capture Hasselblad lens and color benefits if Phocus isn't used as the editor?

It seems it is mandatory the original 3fr needs to be imported into Phocus - whether desktop or Mobile2 - and transformed with lens and color into 3f's.

However, it seems if another editor is used for further edits, unless the editor can edit 3f's directly, 3f's need to be exported to TIFF or jpeg in order to retain the included lens and color from Hasselblad; exporting to DNG or other file formats other than TIFF or jpeg will lose the lens and color settings.

For reasons of cost, familiarity and avoidance of reskilling, preference is to stay with an editor other than Phocus or LR, and would appear 3f's export to TIFF is the only path.

tenmangu81

Quote from: o2mpx on July 20, 2023, 04:47:15 PM
It seems it is mandatory the original 3fr needs to be imported into Phocus - whether desktop or Mobile2 - and transformed with lens and color into 3f's.

Lightroom can open 3FR files. When comparing .fff and .3FR files opened in Lightroom, I have observed that the WB is not exactly the same, and that the .fff are slightly darker (about 0.3 to 0.5 diaph) than the .3FR. But this can be easily corrected using the WB and the exposure cursors. Of course, the best would be to shoot a gray card....
Robert

JCM-Photos

Yes I am surprised every time by the nice result when I open a 3FR in Affinity.

With V2, Affinity became very convenient as the RAW job can by saved and tuned later even when the image is already in Affinity Publisher for a book or zine.
Sharpen your eyes not your files

tenmangu81

Do you mean like a "dynamic object" in Photoshop ?
Robert