27 inch iMac for Phocus??

Previous topic - Next topic

jimgolden

specifically the dual core w/ BTO upgrade 512MB vid card, 8GB ram, 2TB drive...seems like it'd work to me and it'd be nice to have a simple setup on my camera cart rather then the huge mac pro getting wheeled around the studio. thoughts?

anyone know if the 400 to 800 firewire cable for H3D's would work with a 800 to 800 cord?

thx
jim

jeff.grant@pobox.com

The only problem with an iMac is that they aren't any good for serious colour work. If accurate colour isn't important at the time of capture, go for it.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

Phil G

Quote from: jimgolden on October 25, 2009, 03:38:28 PM
specifically the dual core w/ BTO upgrade 512MB vid card, 8GB ram, 2TB drive...seems like it'd work to me and it'd be nice to have a simple setup on my camera cart rather then the huge mac pro getting wheeled around the studio. thoughts?

anyone know if the 400 to 800 firewire cable for H3D's would work with a 800 to 800 cord?

thx
jim

Hi Jim

I use a FW 800 - 800 male terminated all the time no problems they probably supply 800 -> 400  as not all machines have FW 800 ports

The new iMac spec looks like it will tempt me as I love the design and its so portable in comparison to a Mac Pro and not as frustrating as a MBP
They all have their place say for a front of house or unit you can 'sell' to other members of your family.  It'll be great for video calls to friends and family" and you will be able to watch your DVD's etc...

Not sure about the Serious colour work point Jeff mentions but you can fit a cinema display the spec' shows it has enough grunt to deal will all but the most serious demands my only disappointment is they provide a SD slot rather than a eSATA connection but it does have Gbit Ethernet and FW800 for externals

Regarding Phocus well I can run it on an early 20" intel iMac (white bodied) albeit slowly so the new machine should have no problems

Phil

Feel like Homer when he drools over Duff!
Photography is not just an end in its self but a powerful vehicle for Learning

jimgolden

thx guys. I realize the monitor isn't great for precise color stuff, but can't be any worse than the color on my black macbook I use on location...these days all my jobs seem to have heavy looks applied anyhow, so I think I'll go for it. the one bummer is the single FW port - are there FW 800 hubs you can buy? I have an external drive that backs up via time machine as I'm shooting and it'd be nice to keep that speedy...

thx

NickT

Quote from: jimgolden on October 27, 2009, 07:00:55 AM
the one bummer is the single FW port - are there FW 800 hubs you can buy? I
thx

Hi Jim
Yes! Here's the thread:

http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/index.php/topic,564.0.html

I use it to reduce strain on the back FW port.
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

jimgolden