X1DII tethering issues

Previous topic - Next topic

bdp

I am a long time H4/5/6 user who has recently started using an X1D and X1DII in my studio. I have noticed a few problems when shooting tethered to Phocus and I have reached out to Hasselblad support, who have acknowledged some of the issues but no fix has been promised. I'm writing here to see if anyone has any solutions to help me overcome them.

At the time of writing I'm on a Mac, running OS 10.15.7 and Phocus 3.5.7 The problems I'm seeing are as follows:

1. When plugging the X1DII in to the tether cable, all the images on the camera's SD card pop up in the browser in Phocus automatically, taking me away from my capture folder. This is annoying, and it doesn't happen with the X1D or H6. Am I doing something wrong here? I also sometimes get the error message "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer". I tried reformatting the SD card but I still get this sometimes, even when there is no card in the camera!

2. Live video problems with X1DII - the 'use capture aperture' button does nothing, always displaying the live video with a wide open aperture. Zooming to check focus either does nothing and freezes, or zooms way past 100% to something like 269% The X1D behaves differently, but is still not perfect when it comes to live video.

3. Focus buttons in the camera control tool are the wrong way around for all XCD lenses - Hasselblad has admitted they are aware of this bug.

4. If the battery runs out during a shoot and I change it then the focus is reset on the lens. This is annoying in a still life studio when the focus has been fine tuned for a product and then it has to be done all over again. Is there any way to prevent this? As yet there is no mains power like the DC grip made for the H series cameras.

5. The X1DII makes no sound. The X1D and all H cameras make a nice beep after each shot if the user wants. Why did they suddenly remove this?! Hasselblad digital cameras have had the same sound for 20 years! Is it just my camera?

These problems do not make the X1DII unusable as a studio camera, but at the moment the X1D is more bug free when it comes to shooting tethered. I'd love it if others who have had tethering experience can chime in with any solutions or tips for me, or any other problems they have seen.

Thanks,
Ben

pss

I am on M1 Mac running Big Sur and the only issue I have is that Phocus does not read DNG from other cameras correctly.

tethering works great for me with X1DII and 907 but I don't use live view, I don't use the focus controls in Phocus.

I always set the camera to be powered by the laptop, neither the X1DII nor the 907 likes to have batteries drained while shooting tethered, things get funky at 30% or so. and yes, changing the battery throws focus off.

I always turn sound off, so I can't help with that either.

Hasselblad has been pretty amazing in the last few years in providing frequent updates to Phocus, Phocus mobile and camera and lens firmware, I am assuming that covid created some serious delays, I am hoping to see improvements all around pretty soon.