Stick with Hassy or move to GFX100S?

Previous topic - Next topic

JCM-Photos

Not to forget the full H system lenses and optical device compatibility on the X system cameras.

This extends the possibilities to the widest medium format system ever for example:

HCD 24 orange dot plus XH 0.8 gives a 19mm ultra wide angle on X cameras with all native X functions. Focus stacking and so on.

HC 100 orange dot plus XH 0.8 gives a 80mm 1.8 that renders a bit softer than the XCD 80m 1.9, having the choice of your rendering

H lenses with the HTS device gives you a lot of tilt shift possibilities

etc...

Sharpen your eyes not your files

Nigel Roberson

The Fuji is not a bad camera. There are no bad cameras really these days.

The X1D can be annoying at times but the IQ is awesome. A 30x36 print came the other day. A stacked macro shot with the 120mm and its amazing.

AS I mentioned before, in the studio with flash 1/2000 sec at f8 and no ambient light to consider.

Of course it cant do everything. I still need D850 and 500mm for birds and the 24 and 45 tilt shift

I curse digital photography every day. In the past you had a F2AS and a 500CM and they were for life.

Iceman1331

To me, I like the photos taken with my X1D. I also own the V system lenses and bodies including the SWC. I am familiar and have invested so much on the Hassy system, I will also stick to it and look forward to seeing more new products from Hasselblad to upgrade.   :)

JCM-Photos

Megapixel count is really not to consider when working with the X1D or 907X.

A made recently some trials with my 50 Mpix TIFF files on the Topaz Gigapixel AI software.

The results are stunning at 400 Mpix, the files remain perfectly clean, even details at pixel levels that are no more clear to identify at 50 Mpix can be identified at 400 Mpix !

Caveat it takes a very long time to process.

JCM-Photos

Yes Nigel X cameras are not for wildlife or sport, no medium format is.

Fuji fools the customer, when writing in all specs:
16 bit files
5 images per second

They don't say tat It's or, not and.

with 16 bit it's I guess less than 2 images per second
only at 14 bit they match 5

JCM-Photos

With the X system you have 3 in-house tilt shift possibilities:

HTS TS adapter with 24 or 28 HCD, with or without 0.8 converter

Flexbody and V lenses best with CFVII 50c (not very expensive)

Arcbody with his dedicated Rodenstock lenses best with CFVII 50c (very expensive)

I use shift and never tilt, so I use on my X cameras the Mamiya Sekor C 50mm shift lens with perfect results, you can find it for less than 500 $

Hassilistic

@maxct
Don't sell you PhaseOne IQ3 100mp, as with Hasselblad H6D100 they are both the last True 16-bit data structure cameras left outputting native 16-bit RAW files (not Tiffs).

Besides for $6k no need to fuss too much about it, if like me you have the H-system lenses, just add the H mount Adapter G and you are all set.

Compatibility lens list
http://fujifilm-x.com/global/support/compatibility/accessories/list-of-compatible-h-mount-lenses/

Adapter page
https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/products/accessories/h-mount-adapter-g/

This is why you INVEST in a system like Hasselblad, you will always find yourself compatible with all great products out there.

JCM-Photos

Quote from: Hassilistic on February 14, 2021, 10:13:29 PM
@maxct
Don't sell you PhaseOne IQ3 100mp, as with Hasselblad H6D100 they are both the last True 16-bit data structure cameras left outputting native 16-bit RAW files (not Tiffs).

Besides for $6k no need to fuss too much about it, if like me you have the H-system lenses, just add the H mount Adapter G and you are all set.

Compatibility lens list
http://fujifilm-x.com/global/support/compatibility/accessories/list-of-compatible-h-mount-lenses/

Adapter page

This is why you INVEST in a system like Hasselblad, you will always find yourself compatible with all great products out there.
TIFF is a file format not a data format, RAW files of all manufacturers have a TIFF format even if they have no TIFF name.
Hasselblad 400 Mpix files are TIFF's because pixel datas are RGB but still have the same post possibilities as RAW's.

Fuji cameras are not compatible with modern H lenses with AF and 1/2000s , only with old ones limited at 1/800s that also existed as Fuji lenses.

Hassilistic

Quote from: JCM-Photos on February 15, 2021, 02:02:40 AM
@maxct

Compatibility lens list

Adapter page

TIFF is a file format not a data format, RAW files of all manufacturers have a TIFF format even if they have no TIFF name.
Hasselblad 400 Mpix files are TIFF's because pixel datas are RGB but still have the same post possibilities as RAW's.

Fuji cameras are not compatible with modern H lenses with AF and 1/2000s , only with old ones limited at 1/800s that also existed as Fuji lenses.
You missed the point completely. Often a camera manufacturer will claim 16 bit color due to the fact that they have a 16 bit A to D conversion.
As with my case my lenses are old and to me they're gold, and fit completely well on not just fuji but Leica S3 as well were the above comment applies there too, but at the end of the day we get the job done the same way we've done for 30yrs ago criss crossing multiple brands to achieve desired goal. The Image.!

I will never give up my H-system though, as nothing can replace TRUE FOCUS function for me and how I use depth of field.  The day that's gone, maybe the day I walk away....

SrMi

@maxct
<snip>

The Sony sensors in GFX100 and GFX100S are also true 16-bit sensors.

JCM-Photos

Quote from: SrMi on February 15, 2021, 07:11:38 AM
@maxct
<snip>

Yes but very very slow at 16bit, less than 2 i/s
only 14 bit can give the nominal output of 5 i/s

Photon42

Quote from: Nigel Roberson on February 09, 2021, 11:28:06 PM
I curse digital photography every day. In the past you had a F2AS and a 500CM and they were for life.

Only if your life ended 30 years back ...  8)

Alex

..It's quite tricky;

At it's pricepoint, the GFX100S is very cheap and if one's often needing the resolve of 100MP then it could be a stopgap whilst waiting for the announcement, delivery & bug tested Hasselblad version to become available.

I'm guessimating that it'll be mid to late 2022 when I could have a working Hasselblad version in my hands - based on rental prices; if I needed use of the Fuji more than 13x per year within that time frame then it'd be cheaper to buy.   

When factoring in the 1/125th flash sync limitation though it seriously does limit the amount of times I myself could practically use the Fuji. I know one can use adaptors for H lenses but using them on a 44x33mm x 3.8μm sensor is asking a lot of them and I'd rather use them on a 54x40mm x 4.6μm sensor like the H6D100.

What would make things interesting is if/when an XCD to GFX adaptor comes onto the market.

From the point of view of Quality-of-image then they are very different (even aggressive profiling won't bring their colour renditions to become equal) and I'd stick with the camera/brand that gives the look I'd like best for the application at hand.

SrMi

Quote from: JCM-Photos on February 15, 2021, 09:47:35 PM
Quote from: SrMi on February 15, 2021, 07:11:38 AM
@maxct
<snip>

Yes but very very slow at 16bit, less than 2 i/s
only 14 bit can give the nominal output of 5 i/s

The reduced number of images per second is the least of Fuji's GFX100 16-bit problems :).
Their 100MP sensors do produce actual 16-bit data, but they are more a PR matter than of practical use.

Hassilistic

Quote from: Alex on February 16, 2021, 01:42:35 AM
What would make things interesting is if/when an XCD to GFX adaptor comes onto the market.
All you had to do was ask :)
https://www.cambo.com/en/actus-series/actus-xcd-view-camera/