Sharpening...

Previous topic - Next topic

HughGilbert

I'm responding to Jeff Amberg's suggestion about sharpening using the High Pass filter... looks good I've a bunch of architecture to process so I'll try that.

Oh and I'm responding to someone's hint about posting her rather than there!

That is a bit of a difficulty... on the regular post the mailings are like a stream of consciousness whilst here you have to search for the relevant bit...

all best

Seven inches of rain in Sussex over the weekend...
Hugh

NickT

Quote from: HughGilbert on May 28, 2008, 07:37:46 AM

That is a bit of a difficulty... on the regular post the mailings are like a stream of consciousness whilst here you have to search for the relevant bit...

I do agree, I suggest using the "Show unread posts since last visit" link at the top left of your screen and also selecting to receive email notifications of topics you are interested in.
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Dustbak

Another thing you might want to try instead of high pass sharpening, step by step.

1) Jump the layer you want to sharpen (command + J)
2) Smart sharpen (depending on output, I typically use something like 200/2.0)
3) Fade smart sharpen, do not change the percentage (you could but there is no need) but put the blend mode on luminosity. You now have a similar result as with sharpening in LAB mode.
4) Put the blendmode of the layer on darken, this gets rid of unwanted halo effects of your sharpening.

With this method of sharpening you can go extremely far without the dreaded halo effect showing up. You could do something similar at with high pass. Put the high pass layer into a group and set the blend mode of the group on darken.

There are numerous ways of sharpening. Stuff like plug-ins mostly use PS techniques but for some these are probably easier to use.

Dustbak

Something I forgot. You can lower the effect by lowering the percentage of the layer which is why you have to overdo the whole effect (since you cannot go higher than 100% obviously).