FOCUSING reproduction of paintings

Previous topic - Next topic

ALAIN

Hello,
I use an HC120 on an H5D-60, for reproduction photos of paintings.
Focusing with the standard viewfinder is quite imprecise.
I tried to put a Rollyflex magnifying glass on the frosted surface: it's better, but it's still not grown much.
To be precise, I focus at full aperture and shoot at F11, mirror up front.
If any remarks or solutions can be shared, thank you in advance.
Beautiful pictures to all,
Alain (from France)

brian

Alex

(Fine) focus at f4 using the (tethered) Live View at 100% positioned at 33% from the centre - properly aligned to flat subject matter and with a decent optical quality unit you should be able to get your lens to f7-8 (which will resolve more from that sensor than f11 will).

Alex

ALAIN

Thank you. But no live-view with CCD sensor, or I don't know how...

Alex

Conner999

Shoot tethered and control the focus from the laptop in small increments while observing completed shots. The key will be getting the sensor plane parallel to the painting.

A printed focus target is an option, but I'm assuming you are not able to have any contact with the artwork. If they're own a wall and flush to it, you could place a target on the wall and lock-in the focus. You could also doing something similar with the easel they sit on.

ALAIN

Thanks again for your advice.
I use the Passport Colorchecker both for the white balance, the profile, but also for the distance.
With a 10x magnifying glass resting on the frosted glass, it starts to be pretty reliable.
It is true that a computer control with 2 or 3 photos would be good, but for the moment I have not found any advice to open the back and access the broken firewire socket ...
Beautiful images to all, and what a class the medium format !!!
Alain (from France)

Alex

Alain,

Sorry, I forgot that the port of your Firewire card was broken.
Seeing that you were working with a combination of manual lens adjustment and a focusing target (and hence have a repeatable methodology of practice) - I was reminded of a past post by citzin where he tweaked the camera's autofocus to give more repeatable accurate results:

Quote from: citizin on November 20, 2014, 04:07:22 AM
To adjust the manual focus there's small alignment screws on either side of the ground glass, and if the lens goes past infinity there's alignment screws under the real barrel,  I knew alignment screws for the AF sensor has to be somewhere.  After removing the tripod mount/bottom base plate, there's two holes with recessed t3 on either side of the tripod screw hole. 

I turned them 1/16th rotation, re-assembled, mounted, tested, it was was closer.  Repeated these steps till it was perfect.

I haven't tried this myself but seeing as you're generally confident with opening up the cameras;
Being familiar with what optimal quality you can get out of the focusing target from your setup, you could tweak the autofocus system to reach a similar level of accuracy as achieved manually and hopefully achieve it a bit more expediently thereafter.