H5D-60 / X1D repro paintings with HC120

Previous topic - Next topic

ALAIN

Hello,
I am currently making reproductions of medium format paintings with my X1D and an HC120, and 2 profoto D2.
The sensor is excellent, but another idea comes up:
Would an H5D-60, with its larger CCD sensor, give better results?
I am very curious to know your opinions and experiences with this H ...
Thank you in advance and beautiful pictures to all,
Alain, from France

ALAIN

Hello, I research the technical values of the 60Mpx CCD sensor, in H5D-60...
If you have an e-adress to find it, thank you.
Warmest regards,
Alain

JCM-Photos

You have just to download it from "My Hasselblad" on the official HB homepage
Sharpen your eyes not your files

Bashir Lunat

Hello Alain, Your X1D should handel your project perfectly.

Alex

Hi Alain,

It is enjoyable to hear of your explorations with your camera/imaging setup. However you are getting close to the edge of the rabbit hole.. and I can hear your appetite slowly drawing you towards multishot & multispectral imaging. Like any discipline there's a law of diminishing returns, which each avenue requires increasing investment (time) in mastering.

Enjoy it and enjoy how it satisfies you; your patron may well be left far behind in their satisfaction before you reach yours.

My two suggestions are;
- to take your time in fully mastering that which you currently have as you'll have further demands as you "upgrade" to more desired solutions enroute
- Hasselblad do what they do very well +25% but at the same time they are currently a bit of "a ship lost at sea" insomuchas; they produce some very good solutions that suddenly hit a dead end when one's feeling like they're set on a logical course - most of this being due to previous "drunken captains", who've lost direction of a ship that is somewhat being rightened now by more efficient ones (yet instead akin to Generals of the early 20th C. who can't decipher whether their aging ships are luxury cruisers or Man-of-wars!) So know when to take your finger off the(ir) button and shoot elsewhere (and I'm not suggesting anyone but rather to look beyond the packaging and align only to one's needs).

Bon chance!
Bon courage!

Alex

ALAIN

Hello,
Thank you for your technical and "philosophic" answers ;)
I boot a old H5C-60 and a HC120 I, a HC28 and a zoom HCD35-90, at a cool lover of HB, and at a very insetting price : fantastic ! And fantastic CCD : the painter like the colors and 3D effect !!!

The optical viewfinder is quite dusty. Can I remove the rectangular frame below (4 small screws) without any problem, in order to clean everything?
(I'm pretty thorough, I'm just afraid that a seal or a spring or an adjustment is disturbed ...)

There are 2 faults on the body:
1) the firewire connector is broken, or the card that supports it. HB is asking a fortune to repair. Can I open the back from the back to see ?... maybe it's just a trail to fix ...
2) The blue lighting of the top screen no longer works, or sometimes a little, bad contact or lamp out of order ... can I open the top cover? I removed the 2 small screws but it does not come and I am afraid to force.

Other question :The zoom also has a small problem: auto-focus blocked. Brief engine noises are heard but nothing is moving. I tried to twist it all over the place to eventually unlock it, but it seems like a gear or motor stop. Do you have any experience on this?
On the other hand, in manual-focus obviously, I get, in landscape, a better resolution at F11 than at F5.6. As a result, I wonder if the medium format in general is not finer by closing at F11, and the most important for me: in reproduction of table with the HC120, would I be better off to close at around F11 or even a little more, just before the disfraction?

So much for my first small steps in H, but really this H5, I love it !!!
See you soon,
Alain (from France)

hgtate

The rectangular frame below the viewfinder is the focusing screen. The focusing screen can be removed without unscrewing any screws. If you read the manual, which can be downloaded from the Hasselblad website, there is a section that explains how to do this.

ALAIN

Hello,
For cleaning the viewfinder : I am talking about the HV 90x-II viewfinder itself: my question is, in fact, how do you open the HV90X-II viewfinder to clean the interior?
If you have any information or an internet link ... Thank you in advance.
See you soon,
Alain (from France)

SylvainB

Actually you can unscrew, there are 3 little pins which you have to be careful about (don't loose them) when you remove the plastic frame.
There are not really spring loaded, they won't jump.
You will have then to remove the glass which is kept in place by double-side tape. Nothing difficult. Dust most likely is on the inside face.
Below is the mirror of the viewfinder, which probably has some dust too.

If you are careful, you can do it.

ALAIN

Hello SylvainB,
Thank you very much, I followed your advice and everything went well: brand new view finder!
For the 3 little pins, I held them with tape on the top during reassembly, and presto!
See you soon,
Alain

ALAIN

Hello,

I am starting to control my H5D-60 a little better thanks to your advice.
I am waiting for the delivery of the elements to redo the batteries ...
I still don't have any info on how to access the blue led on the top screen (I've been dreaming of a blue screen ever since, in the 90s, I had a Nikon pro in my hand; ).

Another point: the H5 is very practical for warming your hands, but I am still surprised that, even with the screen off, when programming profiles for example, the back continues to heat up! Is there any trick to let that good old back rest?

Greetings from Alain (from France, and certainly stuck here for a little while ...)

Conner999

On the zoom. The HC 100 is infamous for a little plastic gear that drives the AF mechanics breaking or stripping - and i's buried quite deep in the lens. I suspect that may be the issue with zoom if you hear the motor engage and nothing happen.

See this thread part way down where someone walks through the repair process:

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/are-any-of-the-hasselblad-h-lenses-%E2%80%9Cbad%E2%80%9D-or-hc-35mm-review.68874/#post-821494 

ALAIN

oh, thanks for this in-depth view ...
But if you manage to do this kind of manipulation on the optics, would someone know how to remove the small cover of the upper screen of the H5, just to go and repair my blue lamp which is very extinguished ... :)
Greetings from France, Alain

ALAIN

Hello, nobody to help me for my blue light !
Best regards, Alain (from France)

docholliday

Quote from: Conner999 on October 28, 2020, 01:51:53 AM
On the zoom. The HC 100 is infamous for a little plastic gear that drives the AF mechanics breaking or stripping - and i's buried quite deep in the lens. I suspect that may be the issue with zoom if you hear the motor engage and nothing happen.

See this thread part way down where someone walks through the repair process:

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/are-any-of-the-hasselblad-h-lenses-%E2%80%9Cbad%E2%80%9D-or-hc-35mm-review.68874/#post-821494

I'm that guy who tore apart my HC100 and rebuilt the gear train. Actually, I've done in about a dozen of the lenses now, as well as few others. The 35-90 uses a long rod "transmission" like the HC120 does to drive the focus. It is also a small nylon gear, so probably stripped as well. They are all held on by friction (the hole in the gear is smaller than the shaft) which is also the reason the gear eventually splits at the moulding seam or other weak point.