Posting images taken with the 907X

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunil Mehta

RA Marren - Your images from your walks give a good sense of the heat wave we're experiencing in the bay area today.
Sunil

sailronin

Fallen tree shot with 907x and 21mm XCD lens

sailronin

White Barn
907x in square crop with Leica 90mm Summicron on Fotodiox adapter

ramarren

I made this photo some time ago, it's been sitting in my stack of "picks to work on" ... :)

A Lamp, A Step, A Forgotten Door - Santa Clara 2020
Hasselblad 907x + XCD 45P f/4
ISO 800 @ f/5.6 @ 1/100

enjoy,
G

ramarren

This one was made using the 907x's CFVII 50c back on my 500CM camera for a walk around session a few weeks back:

Pipe - Santa Clara 2020
Hasselblad 500CM + CFVII 50c + Planar 80mm f/2.8 T*

Enjoy!
G

sailronin

"Empathy"
907x with 21mm XCD in downtown Seattle today

"#sayhername"
907x with 45p XCD

"Kill your rapist"
907x with Leica 90mm Summicron

sailronin

One more from my Seattle work around today, this one with my 907x and 21mm XCD

sailronin

Full frame test shot HB907x with Leica 135mm tele-Elmar M.

200% crop of above image

Unused bird house. 907x with Leica 135mm tele-Elmar in Fotodiox adapter

350% crop of focal point from birdhouse

The Leitz 135mm Tele-Elmar M sat literally for years on my shelf as I believed it was not a sharp lens when all along it was my inability to focus it well on the M9 that was the problem.  As demonstrated in this series the lens is sharp even at >200% crop...boy I'm glad I didn't give this lens away a couple of years ago.

ramarren

Very nice!

People always told me the same about my ancient Hektor 135/4.5 too, and I found similarly with a TTL focusing camera that it is a remarkably good performer. I wouldn't put it in competition with the XCD 135, of course, but for a lens that cost me all of $175, the quality is outstanding.

G

sailronin

Hi G,
I haven't had a chance to try an XCD 135 but hope will get a chance to test it sooner or later.

I think I payed about the same for the tele-Elmar, super good deal looking back on it.

If you get a chance post some images taken with your M lenses on the "Hasselblad with an "M" on Flickr.

Have a good evening,
Dave

ramarren

Quote from: sailronin on September 22, 2020, 03:33:11 PM...
I haven't had a chance to try an XCD 135 but hope will get a chance to test it sooner or later.
I think I payed about the same for the tele-Elmar, super good deal looking back on it.
If you get a chance post some images taken with your M lenses on the "Hasselblad with an "M" on Flickr. ...

I feel a walk coming up with a Summicron-M 50mm and a Hektor 135mm ... :)
I'll try to remember to post whatever photos I make with them to the "Hasselblad with an M" group on Flickr, but whatever I post I'll try to post here and into my 907x general purpose album on Flickr too.

G

sailronin

Teddy Bear Sunflowers in the studio
My first attempt at using the 907x and 45p lens with a flash.  Shot with a Novatron 600v triggered by Pocket Wizard unit from the CFVii 50c back.

ramarren

Finally I was able to get out with the 907x for another walk the other day, between wildfires, smokey air, and extreme heat events...

I fitted up the Hasselblad 907x with the grip, the optical viewfinder, the XCD 21mm lens, and a neck strap, and then went for a two-three mile walk around the neighborhood with it to see how it fared as a "walk and shoot" camera.

Working ultra wide field of view always takes me some time to settle into, my brain and eyes can't swap between radically wide and other fields of view so quickly as it can with medium wide to normal to modest telephoto. I decided to concentrate on the surface textures of the streets and sidewalks, utilizing the incredible dynamic range and detail capabilities of this camera.

Surface: Soil and Root - Santa Clara 2020
Hasselblad 907x + XCD 21mm f/4
ISO 800 @ f/11 @ 1/60

Surface: Asphalt and Concrete Curb - Santa Clara 2020
ISO 100 @ f/11 @ 1/45

Surface: Asphalt, Leaf and Drainage Grate - Santa Clara 2020
ISO 400 @ f/11 @ 1/80

Surface: Asphalt, Access Cover - Santa Clara 2020
ISO 200 @ f/11 @ 1/50

Surface: Concrete, Asphalt, Sewer Grate and Warning - Santa Clara 2020
ISO 100 @ f/11 @ 1/45

Surface: Asphalt, Concrete Slab, Lawn - Santa Clara 2020
ISO 200 @ f/11 @ 1/80

Flickr album with 1/2 size images: Surface – 907x 2020 ::
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmR87kWy

My assessment: The grip and OVF add substantially to the bulk of the 907x if not so much to the overall weight, particularly with this lens (which is not small...). It proves to be remarkably handy, nonetheless, and easy to hold steadily and get good, sharp images with, whether using the LCD for best critical focus or riding the extreme DoF provided by f/11 with this very short focal length lens. The control grip's options make using manual focus with AF-D spot focus on demand easy, and as long as you take the time to get a feel for what the OVF parallax is, the workflow is fluid and comfortable.

The lens performance, the quality of the raw .3FR files, and all that are just delightful. I rendered this set with Lightroom Classic and the adjustments from the defaults in all cases were very very minimal. :D

enjoy!
G

sailronin

Hi G,
Nice work with the 21mm.
Good to hear the grip balances well and doesn't add too much weight.

Why "Lightroom" v "Phocus" for your processing?  Just curious about your workflow.

Thank you
Dave

ramarren

Quote from: sailronin on October 04, 2020, 04:39:18 PM
Nice work with the 21mm.
Good to hear the grip balances well and doesn't add too much weight.

Why "Lightroom" v "Phocus" for your processing?  Just curious about your workflow.

Thanks!

Regards the rendering tools:

It was purely a matter of practical needs ... I'm fairly proficient at kicking things around in LR based on 14 years of using it and I needed to have four to six photos ready for a workshop meeting in short order. I can previsualize what I want out of LR very easily and get a set of six like that done in about ten-fifteen minutes.

I'm a beginner in Phocus and, while it is not particularly difficult to learn and use, there are lots of things about the end-to-end rendering workflow that I haven't worked out just yet. I didn't have the time to work through that learning process and deliver the goods I needed.

G