XCD 3,5-4,5/35-75 Zoom Lens

Previous topic - Next topic

BillW

The wife and I are planning a road trip for next month. We plan to be as safe as possible as far as social distancing or course. Our final destination is Telluride, Co. We have been there many times and know the area. I am considering purchasing the XCD zoom rather than luging around several primes. Is the general consensus that this zoom is a winner? I have read several reviews and so far it seems to be. Any input would be welcome.
Thanks
Bill

disposable@tx.rr.com

Judging only from the reviews it would seem you can't go wrong with this lens in terms of optical quality.  It appears to be a world class optic and that's pretty much the whole story.  To me then, that suggests three important questions:

1.  are you ok spending $5175 for a lens?
2.  is a moderate wide angle to slightly long normal suitable for enough of your use to justify the price?
3.  is your travel style supportable carrying a 2 1/2 pound lens?

If your travel style is typically driving then it may not matter how much stuff you carry or what it weighs.  If you're more of a tube/train/bus/foot sort of traveler you may have a different preference. 

For instance, we go to Europe for a month with just carryon luggage, so weight/bulk is a huge issue for us.  At least we did, France won't even let us back into the country right now  :-\

If you're good to go on 1 through 3 it would seem an excellent choice for your application.

Having said that, I'd probably rent one first.

BillW

If I carried the zoom rather than a 30,45,65,90 I would save over 2 pounds weight when hiking to a location to photograph. With all the other equipment I have, I have no issue spending the $. I usually sell something to offset some of the cost. At least that is what I tell the wife...!
Thanks
Bill

disposable@tx.rr.com

Quote from: BillW on August 10, 2020, 03:44:17 AM
If I carried the zoom rather than a 30,45,65,90 I would save over 2 pounds weight when hiking to a location to photograph. With all the other equipment I have, I have no issue spending the $. I usually sell something to offset some of the cost. At least that is what I tell the wife...!

If your style doesn't require the 90 then the zoom just might be the hot setup.  Of course the 2 1/2 pounds will be on the front of the camera rather than spare lenses in a camera bag.

I think you'll like it, but still suggest a rental first.

Vieri

Quote from: BillW on August 10, 2020, 03:44:17 AM

Hello Bill,

If you haven't read it yet, here's my review of the zoom: https://www.vieribottazzini.com/2020/04/hasselblad-xcd-35-75mm-f-3-5-4-5-in-depth-review.html. If you plan to replace the 30, 45, 65, 90 with it, as I did (minus the 65 which I never had), I would definitely go for it. As far as focal lengths, this is of course very personal; to me the difference between 75mm and 90mm in therms of field of view at the long end is not dramatic, while at the short end (where the difference in age of view might be more critical for some) the 35mm is slightly longer than the 30mm but optically better - however, since you already know the area and are familiar with the locations, if you know that you'll be fine with 35mm-75mm I would definitely go for it. My .02 of course :)

Hope this helps, best regards

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Proud Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters and NYA-EVO bags | ABIPP
Websites: https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini | Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vieribottazzini/

pss

I used to have the zoom for the GFX, great lens.....i think with my X1D kit i will go a different route....instead of buying the zoom, i will wait to buy the 907/back combo, put the 30 on that and the 65 on the X1DII....
The difference between 30 and 35 is bigger then the difference between 75 and 90....
Before i got into the X system i thought the 45 and 90 would be the 2 lenses to cover it all....now i am leaning more towards 30 and 65 (which i do not have yet) ....
actually going camping tomorrow and will probably bring the 30 and 90....
And will probably throw the 45P in last second just to make sure....
Either way, the one thing is don't like is changing lenses fast....and that is always what it comes down to.....i don't work with tripod and there never seems to be the right lens on the body.....so 2 bodies is the solution....and probably still small and light.....and there is always backup!

Stefan Prasser

Especially on a road trip where changing lenses might happen under windy or dusty confitions, the zoom is a good alternative. I preferred on my H-System the 35-90 over my prime lenses just to avoid getting dust on the sensor. The 35-70 is a superb lens if the given focal choices are fine for you. It's a bit heavy if you will carry it handholding as I prefer to do, but no issue in a camera bag/backpack.

sanglier

Hi , I had the 30,45,65 and 90 in my bag. Since I have the zoom, none have come out of the wardrobe except the 45 and 90, for some hikes. This zoom is 90% of my photos.
this lenses is really exceptional.
just my humble opinion.

dancook

BillW

I did look at your excellent review Vieri. I probably would not sell my 65 as it is such a superb lens. I also have a 21 which I would not sell. If I hike withe the X1D I would take the 21 and the zoom and I have a small backpack (Thniktank) that will hold everything but I usually have the X1D around my neck and hold it while hiking. Thanks for everyone's input. I am getting close to ordering the zoom. Hopefully neither the wife or I turn up positive before the trip. Neither one of us at our ages 71 and 68 can afford to get sick. We are very careful and go out very little except foe grocery shopping or I get drive thru coffee. Thanks again.
Thanks
Bill

Vieri

Quote from: BillW on August 10, 2020, 09:41:54 AM
I did look at your excellent review Vieri. I probably would not sell my 65 as it is such a superb lens. I also have a 21 which I would not sell. If I hike withe the X1D I would take the 21 and the zoom and I have a small backpack (Thniktank) that will hold everything but I usually have the X1D around my neck and hold it while hiking. Thanks for everyone's input. I am getting close to ordering the zoom. Hopefully neither the wife or I turn up positive before the trip. Neither one of us at our ages 71 and 68 can afford to get sick. We are very careful and go out very little except foe grocery shopping or I get drive thru coffee. Thanks again.

Hello Bill,

you are welcome, glad to help :) A 21mm + 35-75mm (plus the 135 for the situations where a longer lens is needed) is my kit as well. I am thinking about giving the Canon 16-35mm a chance for my next trips, just to see how it works in the field, but I will definitely carry the 21mm with me anyway (and leave it in the car / hotel). Please take care & stay safe, both before and during your trip, and enjoy! :)

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Proud Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters and NYA-EVO bags | ABIPP
Websites: https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini | Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vieribottazzini/

JoeC

BillW

Thanks Joe, I will check it out. The lister lives in Texas it appears.
Thanks
Bill

sanglier

Hi, I have always used my 35-75 zoom on my X1D II camera. But for the first time I have come to put it on my X1D camera and the autofocus does not work. The firware is up to date.
Others have encountered this problem.?
Thnak you for your help.

Gravastar

Mine seems to be OK with autofocus on the original X1D and the X1DII. The X1D firmware is ver.1.24.0-38 and the lens firmware is ver. 0.5.40
It works with autofocus activated with the shutter release or the AF-D back button.

Bob.