SD cards

Previous topic - Next topic

a friedrich

Having used normal SanDisk Extreme PRO Class 10 cards 170MB/s in my X1DII, I felt the speed adequate. Then, for travelling, I switched to Sony SF-M64t UHS-II SD Tough (a nice and solid build). This one crashed the cam twice and browsing was suddenly slow and buggy.
They seem to be incompatible.
Bought a 2-set of the recommended cards by Hasselblad for the X1DII, the SanDisk 300MB/s version, and wow, the X1DII does feel a lot more responsive, compared to the initial SanDisk Extreme PRO 170MB/s.
It seems choosing the right SD does make the X1DII quite ::)  fast and thereby really usable for street. Just my experience.

spb-ch

Indeed cards are important. Obviously the ones recommended ny Hasselblad are fine. I am using Austrian Angelbird V90 300MB/s cards and these are totally reliable as are Sony G cards (I haven't tried the Tough cards).

SrMi

From X1D II 50C manual (page 78):

Some Sony high-speed SF-G UHS-II SD 300MB/s memory cards might have poor compatibility, and therefore, might not be able to write image data properly.

pss

There is a recall on some sony sd cards right now, i use the high speed 300/290 and 300/300 tough cards and have no issues...

disposable@tx.rr.com

As a new owner of this camera, my experience with various cards is limited to what was on hand.  This consisted of some 50 or so SanDisk Ultra 30MB/s 32 gig cards, a fair number of even more elderly SanDisk antiques, and two new SanDisk ExtremePro 300MB/s cards.  All worked fine as far as saving images correctly, abet the performance of the camera was noticeably slower with the old cards.  Had that been all that was available I would have been perfectly ok and can't see any reason to throw away correctly operating cards.  Were I using these cards commercially I might have a different viewpoint, and for an overseas trip I would probably purchase more 300 MB/s cards.

Everything other than the 300 MB/s cards produced the nag screen telling me I need better cards.

EDIT:  On further experimentation with the slow cards, I did discover that I can freeze the camera by doing something like displaying an image and attempting to execute another command in rapid order.  After staring at the thing for 30 seconds or so it sorted itself out and worked fine. 

SrMi

FWIW, Hasselblad ships 907x limited editions with an included 128Gb Lexar SDXC 1667x card.

SrMi

Quote from: iklo on July 19, 2020, 06:13:46 PM
Quote from: SrMi on July 19, 2020, 05:47:56 PM
FWIW, Hasselblad ships 907x limited editions with an included 128Gb Lexar SDXC 1667x card.
If true this is disturbing in the broader sense: Lexar is no more. Micron sold the name to some low life Chinese shack in 2017 and these new Lexars have nothing in common with the reference quality of the old. That HB were to source Lexars now implies that it's new owner DJI is too keen to cut corners for maximum profit.

How do they cut corners? Typically cameras do not ship with an SD card at all.
The only thing that this shows is that Hasselblad trusts the Lexar brand. Lexar's new CFExpress cards also work very well in Nikon cameras. They are not cheaper than other brands, AFAIK.

I am glad that Longsys saved the brand.

Carsten Helbig

As a new owner of a X1D II 50C i bought a SanDisk Extreme Pro 300Mb/s as recommended in the manual. The camera didn't recognise the card at all, so i contacted Hasselblad service. They asked me to send (my three weeks old) camera for repair. After another two weeks it ended in the following: Some batches of the SanDisk ExtremePro 300Mb/s will not be recognised by the camera and it will be fixed with a firmware update in the future. When asking for a tested card i've got two cards at the speed of 95 Mb/s.

A friend of mine uses a X1D II 50C with a SanDisk Extreme pro without problems, when using my SanDisk Extreme Pro it was the same: my card didn't work in his camera. Even if it was quite uncomfortable to get rid of a brand new camera it seems to be an issue in the interplay between several SanDisk extreme pro cards and the camera and not a malfunction of my camera.

Now i'bought another SanDisk card at a speed of 170mb/s and this one is doing well.

Vieri

I have been using SanDisk cards since forever, never had a problem with them. I never go for the latest and fastest, or latest and larger in capacity, because these are more prone to fail. At the moment, I am using 120 Gb SandDisk Extreme PRO, 170 Mb speed, with both my X1D II bodies. I format them in camera only and never delete images in camera. I have 8 of them, 2 in each body (setup as backup) and 4 always with me in the bag as backup, and they normally last me for my 2-3 months stretches on the road. I backup to my computer and to an external HDD every day, never deleting what is on the cards. This way, I have two copies with me in the bag, one copy in the computer, one copy on an external HDD, which should be enough protection against possible data losses. I still have and carry about a dozen older SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 Gb, 95 Mb speed cards, which I always bring some of them with me to have some emergency backup options just in case, and they also work perfectly well with my two X1D II bodies. The same setup above also worked fine on my previous two X1D bodies.

Hope this helps, best regards

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Proud Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters and NYA-EVO bags | ABIPP
Websites: https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini | Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vieribottazzini/

hgtate

Quote from: Carsten Helbig on July 20, 2020, 05:04:44 AM
As a new owner of a X1D II 50C i bought a SanDisk Extreme Pro 300Mb/s as recommended in the manual. The camera didn't recognise the card at all, so i contacted Hasselblad service. They asked me to send (my three weeks old) camera for repair. After another two weeks it ended in the following: Some batches of the SanDisk ExtremePro 300Mb/s will not be recognised by the camera and it will be fixed with a firmware update in the future. When asking for a tested card i've got two cards at the speed of 95 Mb/s.

A friend of mine uses a X1D II 50C with a SanDisk Extreme pro without problems, when using my SanDisk Extreme Pro it was the same: my card didn't work in his camera. Even if it was quite uncomfortable to get rid of a brand new camera it seems to be an issue in the interplay between several SanDisk extreme pro cards and the camera and not a malfunction of my camera.

Now i'bought another SanDisk card at a speed of 170mb/s and this one is doing well.

I have H6D-100 and had a similar problem with a new card which was not recognised by the camera. I then formatted the card in the computer and it was then recognised by the camera and could be formatted and used in the camera.

disposable@tx.rr.com

I have H6D-100 and had a similar problem with a new card which was not recognised by the camera. I then formatted the card in the computer and it was then recognised by the camera and could be formatted and used in the camera.

On a similar note, I have had good luck using SD Formatter https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/ to address such problems.  This seems to be a popular option among Leica users, but I don't hear much about it elsewhere.

Carsten Helbig

i tried all this: Formatting with my my mac as FAT (32GB), ExFAT and with the Programm SD Card Formatter from sdcard.org. Nothing worked. Now i'm waiting for a firmware update, as promised.

mequon

I started with two Lexar 64GB 300mbs cards for my X1DII. That was a mistake, plenty of bugs in which the camera shut down intermittently. It also failed to record a fair amount of shots. I wish I had found out earlier that Lexar had been sold. I replaced them with 64GB Sandisk ExtremePro 300mbs cards and all is well.