...a purple problem...

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciro Frank Schiappa

Hello to everyone,

Since the begin of the quarantine I'm documenting my family's life with the X1d. The last week  I began to see purple images and two days ago after a long exposure shot the camera everything is getting worse. Today I see everything in purple.  I guess that is a sensor failure? Do you have experience in this matter?

Best

Ciro

https://www.instagram.com/cirofrankschiappa/

sanglier

Dis you try an other SD card ?

Ciro Frank Schiappa

trying right now and seems better!

THANKS(finger crossed) A LOT!

Best
Ciro

brian

what card were you using when you had the problem?

Ciro Frank Schiappa

Sandisk 64 and unfortunately  I still have the problem.... with another sandisk 64 . But I've used both cards extensively for the past 2 years without a problem.  And I'm talking about at least 30000 shots.

Vieri

Hello Ciro,

sorry to hear about your troubles. My suggestion would be to buy a new card and try that, before anything else. Keep us posted :)

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Proud Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters and NYA-EVO bags | ABIPP
Websites: https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini | Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vieribottazzini/

Bob Andersson

Looking at the second image in Photoshop the transition the transition in the gain in the green pixels is startling. But there is still variation in the green values in the magenta portion of the image which I do find hard to understand being caused by a card failure. However a new card is a relatively cheap way to troubleshoot.

My guess is that there is a failure in the camera electronics, specifically with the analog to digital converter but, as I say, that is a guess. If changing the card, removing the battery for a while and doing a camera reset to factory settings don't help (I'm clutching at straws here!) and there is no sign of water ingress then booking a service with your dealer now, if you can, to reserve a place in the queue might be a good idea? Good luck.

Ciro Frank Schiappa

Quote from: Vieri on April 19, 2020, 06:19:35 PM
Hello Ciro,

sorry to hear about your troubles. My suggestion would be to buy a new card and try that, before anything else. Keep us posted :)

Best regards,

Vieri

Thank you Vieri.   Unfortunately even with a new card the problem still there. Today I've order a new X1D II (and a 90mm)  from my dealer in Italy and I will send my Black 4116 (I love the color) to Sweden for a check up. I will continue to post the pictures on instagram trying to switch to Black and White as I did yesterday.
Actually the X1D is my first mirrorless camera ( I had two body - the first one stolen here in Barcelona) and I still have some doubts about the reliability  of this kind of cameras compared to a Reflex.... I would like to know the point of view of the forum as well.

Thanks again!

Ciao

Ciro

Ciro Frank Schiappa

Quote from: Bob Andersson on April 19, 2020, 07:43:36 PM
Looking at the second image in Photoshop the transition the transition in the gain in the green pixels is startling. But there is still variation in the green values in the magenta portion of the image which I do find hard to understand being caused by a card failure. However a new card is a relatively cheap way to troubleshoot.

My guess is that there is a failure in the camera electronics, specifically with the analog to digital converter but, as I say, that is a guess. If changing the card, removing the battery for a while and doing a camera reset to factory settings don't help (I'm clutching at straws here!) and there is no sign of water ingress then booking a service with your dealer now, if you can, to reserve a place in the queue might be a good idea? Good luck.

Thank you Bob. I did a camera reset to factory settings and all the routines that you've said . Unfortunately I still have the problem and as I said to Vieri  before I've ordered a new body and I will send my beloved black 4116 back to Sweden.

Waiting for the new one to arrive I'll try to make the best for what I have and continuing my diary.

Best
Ciro

vidio

I had the exact same problem. I sent it back and they replaced the sensor.

Vieri

Quote from: Ciro Frank Schiappa on April 21, 2020, 12:52:58 AM
Hello Ciro,

Best regards,

Vieri

Thank you Vieri.   Unfortunately even with a new card the problem still there. Today I've order a new X1D II (and a 90mm)  from my dealer in Italy and I will send my Black 4116 (I love the color) to Sweden for a check up. I will continue to post the pictures on instagram trying to switch to Black and White as I did yesterday.
Actually the X1D is my first mirrorless camera ( I had two body - the first one stolen here in Barcelona) and I still have some doubts about the reliability  of this kind of cameras compared to a Reflex.... I would like to know the point of view of the forum as well.

Thanks again!

Ciao

Ciro

Ciao Ciro,

sorry to hear that - it was worth a try. I am sure that Hasselblad will fix it for you, I hope it won't take too long and cost too much ;)

About reliability, in theory a mirrorless camera should be MORE reliable than a reflex camera, not less. Any digital camera is basically a computer with a lens attached, plus some mechanics: the shutter, for pretty much any camera, and the mirror for reflex. Mirrorless cameras have the same electronics as reflex cameras (minus the EVF) but much less moving parts, therefore assuming the same coefficient of reliability for the electronics, with mirrorless you reduce the possibility of mechanical breaking. In the case of the X!D, given the fact that it use leaf shutters, the camera body has actually zero moving parts, which completely eliminates the possibility to have any mechanical problem.

Of course, whether the electronics of a particular camera (be it mirrorless, reflex or rangefinder) are reliable is a different story, but a story that has nothing to do with the mirrorless vs reflex question - you can have very reliable mirrorless and very unreliable reflexes, and viceversa :)

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Proud Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters and NYA-EVO bags | ABIPP
Websites: https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini | Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vieribottazzini/

Ciro Frank Schiappa

Quote from: Vieri on April 21, 2020, 06:31:31 PM
Quote from: Ciro Frank Schiappa on April 21, 2020, 12:52:58 AM
Hello Ciro,

Best regards,

Vieri

Thanks again!

Ciao

Ciro

Ciao Ciro,

sorry to hear that - it was worth a try. I am sure that Hasselblad will fix it for you, I hope it won't take too long and cost too much ;)

About reliability, in theory a mirrorless camera should be MORE reliable than a reflex camera, not less. Any digital camera is basically a computer with a lens attached, plus some mechanics: the shutter, for pretty much any camera, and the mirror for reflex. Mirrorless cameras have the same electronics as reflex cameras (minus the EVF) but much less moving parts, therefore assuming the same coefficient of reliability for the electronics, with mirrorless you reduce the possibility of mechanical breaking. In the case of the X!D, given the fact that it use leaf shutters, the camera body has actually zero moving parts, which completely eliminates the possibility to have any mechanical problem.

Of course, whether the electronics of a particular camera (be it mirrorless, reflex or rangefinder) are reliable is a different story, but a story that has nothing to do with the mirrorless vs reflex question - you can have very reliable mirrorless and very unreliable reflexes, and viceversa :)

Best regards,

Vieri

Hi Vieri, thank you for your reply.  You're right, I believe that my personal story with my cameras (mostly analogs and I still using a Deardorff 8x10  view camera and a Linhof Technorama 612) slows me down a bit in thinking of these tools as computers that translate the world around us into digital.
In truth they are computers and this makes me think that the real emotional investment that I should make is above all in lenses.

Best

Ciro

Photon42

In the case of the X!D, given the fact that it use leaf shutters, the camera body has actually zero moving parts, which completely eliminates the possibility to have any mechanical problem.

There are still dials and buttons ...  ;D

Ciro Frank Schiappa

The sensor still alive and I'm converting pictures to  Black and White(after 20 years of photography exclusively in color!) when the color is completely off. Sometimes there are nice "graphical" effects too... so just think positive!

Best

Ciro