Snow Leopard and Phocus

Previous topic - Next topic

alexkent

horseoncowboy,

is there any known good reason for running the 64bit kernel ?
the arstechnica article http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars suggests there isn't.

Phocus has always run in 64bit mode on Leopard (if you have a 64bit capable Intel Mac) so it can already take advantage of massive ram. Snow Leopard (and even the 64bit kernel) don't add anything to that as far as i know.

also David, Flexcolor doesn't run in Rosetta, it's been a Universal binary for ages now... so no additional reason for failure there.

David Grover

Quote from: alexkent on September 04, 2009, 11:11:14 PM
horseoncowboy,

is there any known good reason for running the 64bit kernel ?
the arstechnica article http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars suggests there isn't.

Phocus has always run in 64bit mode on Leopard (if you have a 64bit capable Intel Mac) so it can already take advantage of massive ram. Snow Leopard (and even the 64bit kernel) don't add anything to that as far as i know.

also David, Flexcolor doesn't run in Rosetta, it's been a Universal binary for ages now... so no additional reason for failure there.

Actually Alex its the FlexColor installer that requires Rosetta.  So if you have a new machine with SL and need to do a FlexColor install - you would still need to install Rosetta!  Sorry for not being clearer earlier. ;-)

Dustbak

I have Flexcolor installed already. I hope to be able to install SL on top of my current configuration and avoid the need having to reinstall Flexcolor. I have not yet received my 'familypack' of SL, I pre-ordered but Apple is pretty slow with delivery.

I am still very much depending on Flexcolor, I need it to work properly on SL as well.

alexkent

Quote from: David Grover on September 04, 2009, 11:50:19 PM
Actually Alex its the FlexColor installer that requires Rosetta.  So if you have a new machine with SL and need to do a FlexColor install - you would still need to install Rosetta!  Sorry for not being clearer earlier. ;-)

i stand corrected!

horseoncoboy

Quote from: David Grover on September 04, 2009, 11:07:37 PM
I assume you mean is Phocus 64-bit aware?

i mean does it work running the os with the 64bit kernel activated instead of the 32bit default in 10.6, but think i will try it myself.

horseoncoboy

markgqs

FYI

I installed Flexcolor 4.8.8 on a three day old MacBook Pro last night that I had just upgraded to Snow Leopard. Works fine!
Installed Phocus but haven't tested it yet.

Phil G

Hi I did post a warning re Snow Leopard on the hardware thread

there are problems with drivers especially for cards using Silicon Image chips both PCI-e and ExpressCard/34 for the Mac Book Pro  it would appear they are likely to be out in October

I would suggest that you clone your drive using application like SuperDuper

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

and possibly use the sand box way of working so you can protect and revert to previous version if you do have problems

Phil
Photography is not just an end in its self but a powerful vehicle for Learning

Dustbak

I have just upgraded my MacPro. Phocus is much faster now! I am using one of those Nehalem Macpros and it appears they really do benefit from SL.

David Grover

Quote from: horseoncowboy on September 05, 2009, 12:19:39 AM

i mean does it work running the os with the 64bit kernel activated instead of the 32bit default in 10.6, but think i will try it myself.

We are not using any custom device drivers so if Apple have done their job, then it should work.  However, it has yet to be tested.

horseoncoboy

Quote from: David Grover on September 07, 2009, 09:20:16 PM

We are not using any custom device drivers so if Apple have done their job, then it should work.  However, it has yet to be tested.

i had no time to play longer because i had to finish a job but  it did not work on the first try.  images did not get imported from the camera and both phocus and back/camera crashed. seems that there is a problem with the 64bit firewire extension

David Grover

Quote from: horseoncowboy on September 08, 2009, 01:03:26 AM

i had no time to play longer because i had to finish a job but  it did not work on the first try.  images did not get imported from the camera and both phocus and back/camera crashed. seems that there is a problem with the 64bit firewire extension

To be honest you are probably getting ahead of yourself here.  64-Bit Kernel mode is more of a preparation for the future, so I would not expect many applications to be running 100% in this way.

However, we have just made a test with a 17" MBP and it worked without any issues.

horseoncoboy

Quote from: David Grover on September 09, 2009, 01:27:12 AM
Quote from: horseoncowboy on September 08, 2009, 01:03:26 AM

To be honest you are probably getting ahead of yourself here.  64-Bit Kernel mode is more of a preparation for the future, so I would not expect many applications to be running 100% in this way.

However, we have just made a test with a 17" MBP and it worked without any issues.

on my main machine i discovered a new bug with SL  i have 4 hds installed after the system upgrade phocus does not see my main drive with the os anymore ! any idea?

GrantRH

Quote from: horseoncowboy on September 11, 2009, 02:35:56 AM

on my main machine i discovered a new bug with SL  i have 4 hds installed after the system upgrade phocus does not see my main drive with the os anymore ! any idea?

I have noted the same problem. After installing SL (MacBook Pro) Phocus refuses to 'see' the internal OS drive in the File System Browser area.
No problem 'seeing' an attached firewire drive.

You can select the internal HDD as the capture destination from within the Tools area under Job Info where it will show up.

klugstudio

I'm having the same problem after installing SL phocus doesn't see main internal hard drive.