Double exposures

Previous topic - Next topic

Alastair Bird

Shooting today, CF-39 on a 503CW, into a Dual G5 and Flexcolor 4.8.5, I would regularly get a double exposure.  The back would trigger the strobes, and not beep, and then the next exposure would complete and both exposures would be on one 'frame'.  It probably happened 6 times out of 425 frames.  Anyone ever had this experience?  It was a pain because both frames were un-usable.

I was waiting for the ready beep on the back, the studio was warm, no other issues came up, either.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks.

NickT

Alastair
I'd strongly suspect static..
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Alastair Bird

Static?  Never heard of that being an issue.  I can't say I noticed a lot of static, but I also can't say it was particularly wet and static-free.  I'll have to ground my tripod and see if that makes a difference...  Thanks, Nick.

Jeff Amberg

Having worked with the static issues, before. this does make sense. 

However, how do you do a double exposure on purpose, using an H3D?

Jeff

Jeff Amberg
http://jeffamberg.com

1017 Ferguson Street
Columbia, SC 29201  USA

Member ASMP and APA

NickT

Quote from: Jeff Amberg on May 29, 2008, 01:30:31 AM

However, how do you do a double exposure on purpose, using an H3D?

Short answer, you can't, same with any digi back. You are better off shooting a separate exposure and blending the two in PS.

Nick-T

Jeff Amberg

Thanks Nick ... that was what I suspected ... ahhh well ...

BTW:  I really like the "notify" function of this forum... nice goin' team !

Jeff Amberg

NickT

Hey Jeff
Can you expand on what you are trying to achieve with multiple exposures?
Nick-T

Jeff Amberg

Well.. nothing really at this moment, its just a time or two since going digital, I've had the notion to make a double/multiple exposure for ha ha's, you know just playing around with light.  There is one thing that I used to do that was kind interesting.... calculate normal exposure... stop down one stop and make two exposures to match,
stop down 2 stops and make four, stop down three and make 8, stop down 4 and make 16.  If you photograph grain in the fields, just before harvest, when it's gentlly swaying in the wind makes a really interesting image at 16 exposures.... mostly with a tripod.

Of course, there's the multiple strobe pops and all the fun with that ... 

Photoshop is okay for some things, but there's something about the spontinaeity of flying by the seat of the pants, I guess.

Jeff Amberg

NickT

Ahh yes fond memories of shooting stationary with a 10X8 (for an A4 catalogue!) and a vacuum back having to do 16 pops to get enough DOF
Nick-T

tranlo

Hi Alastair,

I have this on nearly every shoot with a viewcamera and flashsync. No idea what it could be. Had this with 2 different CF39-backs.

Alastair Bird

Thanks for the note, Tranio. It has crept up again recently, but not nearly as bad as the first shoot.  Of course, it's not nearly regular enough to be able to predict or figure out what is going on...