Thoughts on new 16-inch MBP, Lightroom and processing X1D files

Previous topic - Next topic

omarnk

Does anybody have any thoughts or experiences editing X1D files in Lightroom Classic on a fully specced MacBook Pro? I'm interested in the new 16-inch MBP as a desk-top replacement (I'm moving back to Mac from a Windows machine) but have concerns about whether the MBP has enough juice to handle Lightroom adjustments, Photoshop multiple layers etc on the huge X1D raw files without slowing down significantly. I intend to hook up the MBP to my Eizo display and use it instead of a desktop. I would consider a relatively fully specced machine i.e. core i9, 64gb ram, 3 tera SSD, Radeon Pro 5500M (up to 8GB). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Omar

mikejmcfarlane

I think a fully speced MBP would be a flying machine. I edit my X1D II files on an iPad Pro including multilayer edits, HDR and HDR panos. The HDR panos make things a bit lumpy but a 3 image full res pano only takes about 5-10mins, which is ok given the res and the hardware.
16GB memory will be fine. If you want a bit more speed you can always add an external GPU as Lightroom supports them, and they do make a difference to some tasks, but if you add one it needs to be a high spec one, the Blackmagic Radeon Pro 580 version was ok, but often bottlenecked. I did some work earlier this year with an early 2019 high spec MBP and it was grand, no complaints getting through 4K video, high res stills and panos with ease, the only thing was as said, the Radeon Pro 580 was often maxed out, I should have gone for the Vega model.

NickT

Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

omarnk

Quote from: mikejmcfarlane on December 11, 2019, 10:03:28 AM
I think a fully speced MBP would be a flying machine. I edit my X1D II files on an iPad Pro including multilayer edits, HDR and HDR panos. The HDR panos make things a bit lumpy but a 3 image full res pano only takes about 5-10mins, which is ok given the res and the hardware.
16GB memory will be fine. If you want a bit more speed you can always add an external GPU as Lightroom supports them, and they do make a difference to some tasks, but if you add one it needs to be a high spec one, the Blackmagic Radeon Pro 580 version was ok, but often bottlenecked. I did some work earlier this year with an early 2019 high spec MBP and it was grand, no complaints getting through 4K video, high res stills and panos with ease, the only thing was as said, the Radeon Pro 580 was often maxed out, I should have gone for the Vega model.

Thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated. I probably will take the plunge soon!

maxnardi

My work borse is a m bp 16 i9(8cores) 64gb ram highes video card and 2tb .
A breeze to work my h6d-100c files in phocus even with multiple multilayered full res images opened in ps ... sometimes I even have indesign and lightroom opened at the same time..

Honestly go with the map 16 (a well specked one) and you would' not regret it

pss

well now even the lowest MacBook Air with M1 eats Hasselblad raw files:) even with LR in rosetta (not native) everything just flies....