Trade in my h5d 50c to h6d100c or go for x1dII (or??)

Previous topic - Next topic

eljee

Big changes coming up for me. What to do..

I started out about 14 years ago (after about 16 years of full frame) with a h1d and a phase one p20. After 9 years I made a step up to the phase one p30+. Now the last 3 years I worked with the h5d 50c WiFi which turned out a bumpy ride. It has been back to hasselblad about 4 or 5 times and I don't trust the cam anymore. So time to move on. I got 3 main options:

- keep my h5d and buy a X1d II with two lenses. (The 30 and the 135 + 1.7) and later add the 907x (love the concept)
- trade in my h5d for a h6d 100c ( got a good offer) and enjoy the bigger sensor size
- go with the more reliable Fujifilm GFX100

What do you guys think? I love the dSLR like fast(er) autofocus of the gfx. But man what a ugly camera !  The x1d is just lovely especially when you team it up with the 907x. Compact light and promising with phocus mobile 2. But still, autofocus isn't as fast as the gfx. And than the h6d. For what I read not a big improvement on the h5d but I love the idea of a bigger sensor. It's the number one thing what kept me from the dslr's for years. Not that my clients see it btw, it's just that i never get any satisfaction for a dSLR image, not as how the results from a blad can appeal to me.

What to do; go for max with the h6d? Go for beauty with the X1d 907x combi or do I go for speed and ease with the gfx

Yes, it depends on what kind of work you do, I know 😁. Well take a look at www.eljee.nl

Love to hear your thoughts.       

brian

My two cents.

First, make the decision easy - discard the idea of the GFX100!

I had a look at your website and see that you do mostly portraits and landscapes. The H6D-100 is simply the best camera out there - it will enhance the work you do and ups can make use of your existing H lenses. The only reason to go with XDII is portability and, if you keep the HD5, use it as a backup [get it fixed and made reliable]. I have both cameras and they are both great. The H6D-100 is amazing and the XD is very portable. It's your decision.

hgtate

Trade in makes the H6D-100 very affordable and is a great deal. I traded with a H4D-40 and think it's the best photographic move I have ever made. Looking at your work the H6D will be great for you. Having said that I would also like to own an XD for the candid work that I do but that would lead to divorce and I don't fancy doing my own laundry.

fsprow

The H6D-100c has changed my photographic life.  The printed images have a three dimensional character that no other camera has produced for me.  I have even carried it on safari and in difficult areas in Afghanistan.

Highly recommended.

eljee

Well agree. Thx guys. I just made the deal yesterday and bought the h6d.

Did play around with the gfx and x1d but it didn't work for me. With the h6d I was familiar within a second.

Unfortunately after I got home there the cam doesn't start properly, it gives me a error. I contacted support already

fsprow

You probably have tried to remove the battery, charge fully and reinstall.  Sometimes communication between the battery and CPU is not perfect.

eljee

Yeah, well. The cam is now in sweden. Not the best start of our relationship  :-[

jhartman

I migrated from the H5D-50c to the H6D-100c two and a half years ago and have never regretted the move. I've been fortunate to never have had an issue with either camera, even with heavy daily use. The 100MP files are a joy to work with, as is the improved interface.

As an aside, I have a complete 35mm FF kit (Panasonic Lumix S1R) and m43 kit (Lumix G9). Each system carries its own set of upsides and downsides, and they're all great cameras. But for sheer size and depth, the H6D is unbeatable.

hgtate

Quote from: eljee on December 05, 2019, 09:10:10 AM
Yeah, well. The cam is now in sweden. Not the best start of our relationship  :-[

Wow, I don't know what country you are in but over here in the UK if an item does not work when you first turn it on after purchase then it is replaced immediately not returned to the manufacturer for repair.

bernardl

I happen to own both the H6D-100c and the GFX100.

Although I love the look of the images coming out of he H6D-100c, I have to say that I don't find reasonable to invest any extra cent in the H system at this point in time. Hasselblad has not provided any visibility about the future of the system and they have demonstrated their inability to even upgrade the X1D in a significant way.

Unless Hasselblad starts to communicate, I personally sadly consider the H system dead.

As far as the GFX100 goes, in particular when processing images with C1 Pro 12, the colors are great and image quality is very hard to distinguish from the H6D-100c. The only limitation is the lack of AF when using H lenses with fast shutter lenses. But AF on the H6D-100c is so abysmal when it matters (shallow DoF) that this point is anyway moot.

Cheers,
Bernard