Card not read on startup

Previous topic - Next topic

0luke1

Hello everyone, I'm using new SanDisk extreme pro 300mbs 64gig cards in my new x1d ii. I formatted them in camera.

Every time I wake up or turn on the camera, I get a "no card" error. I have to pull and reinstall the cards several times before I can get one or both recognized.

Any thoughts?

BillW

Assuming other cards work well in your camera, I would inspect and clean the contacts on the new SanDisk. If that does not work, I would return them as they may be fake.
Thanks
Bill

sog1927

Quote from: BillW on November 22, 2019, 03:46:31 AM
Assuming other cards work well in your camera, I would inspect and clean the contacts on the new SanDisk. If that does not work, I would return them as they may be fake.

That was my first thought as well, particularly if they were bought on-line from an Amazon merchant or from Ebay. I bought a couple of 128GB "SanDisk" cards from Amazon marketplace that turned out to be 4GB cards and less than half the speed of real cards - obvious counterfeits. I think SanDisk has a web page on how to spot counterfeits, but some of the new ones are very hard to detect from external inspection.

I had no issues returning them to Amazon for a full refund - they're aware of the problem.

0luke1

I bought them from B&H, unfortunately too long ago to return them (I didn't think it would take over two months to receive the camera). A much slower card from my M10 works just fine.

Anyone want a $300 set of worthless cards?

Good news, the camera is everything I hoped it would be (so far). I'm semi paralyzed and have the use of just one hand - ergonomically this camera whips my old Nikon and Sony gear and i can foresee selling my M10. Even with the 21mm, I can shoot just fine one-handed.

BillW

FWIW I use these the I bought from BH. They are only $39 but I do not need the speed I guess offered by the current cards out there. I would contact BH anyway or the manufacturer to see if anything be done.
Thanks
Bill

0luke1

My extreme pro 64gb, 95mbs works fine.

sog1927

Quote from: 0luke1 on November 23, 2019, 03:45:25 PM
I bought them from B&H, unfortunately too long ago to return them (I didn't think it would take over two months to receive the camera). A much slower card from my M10 works just fine.

Anyone want a $300 set of worthless cards?

Good news, the camera is everything I hoped it would be (so far). I'm semi paralyzed and have the use of just one hand - ergonomically this camera whips my old Nikon and Sony gear and i can foresee selling my M10. Even with the 21mm, I can shoot just fine one-handed.

Have you tried reformatting them in your computer to see if the camera can at least recognize them afterwards? It might be worth a shot. I'd format them again in the camera before using them, if this works

mar-ko

A good way to test cards (and USB sticks) is the program "h2testw" (or "f3" for macOS). It fills the card completely with test data and verifys afterwards, so fake/fraud (and defect) cards can be detected.

0luke1

Have you tried reformatting them in your computer to see if the camera can at least recognize them afterwards? It might be worth a shot. I'd format them again in the camera before using them, if this works
[/quote]

BINGO! That worked. Thank you.

Never had to do that before.

sog1927

Quote from: 0luke1 on November 25, 2019, 05:43:27 AM

BINGO! That worked. Thank you.

Never had to do that before.
[/quote]

Systems software is my day job  ;)