300% Resizing: Phocus, flexcolor or photoshop??

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna-Louise

Hello All,

I need some suggestions for resizing an image 300%. I have been trying to avoid a reshoot but I think it appears I may have to.

I have an image with moire and the slightest camera movement even at 400iso and 800 shutter. I have used flexcolor and photoshop, one then the other and vice versa with the smart sharp tool to correct the motion blur but still not 'good enough' (perfect). 

Not able to get phocus up until tomorrow (borrowing a mac laptop) but if I want to do a reshoot I'll have to book the plane asap. Does anyone think phocus will solve my problem ?

Anna

NickT

Hi Anna-Louise
I've not tested it but I doubt Phocus would do a better job of re-sizing than flexcolor or Photoshop although it will most likely sort your moire problems. Feel free to send me a raw file (use yousendit.com) if you want me to see if Phocus will remove the moire.
regards
Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Anna-Louise

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the offer. I'm on an awful mobile connection here so the upload would take hours. I was hoping that phocus would be able to work some magic on the resize too but I think it might be too much to ask of the file, moire removal and resizing. It's an ocean shot and I think what I detect as 'slight movement' could actually be part of the moire as the background seems fine. Could I post a jpg here to explain?

Anna

ps do you sleep?

NickT

Please do post a jpg here either as an attachment (look at "more options" when you post) or as a link..

And yes I do sleep but not generally at 9 in the morning NZ time :)

Anna-Louise

Hey Nick,

Tried posting loads of times. Timed out while posting, then it said file too large, then it said file needs to be less than 500kb, then reposted and it said file needs to be less than 250kb.

Could you please tell me current files size allowance as I'm exhausted...

Anna

living between zones..

NickT

Anna-Louise

Hey Nick,

Okay here is it, I think the water has moire and that it is affecting the rig. The windfarm seems fine. Any suggestions?

Anna

NickT

Impossible to tell with all the jpg artifacting .. resize the image in Photoshop to something like 800 pixels wide and re-save/repost and I'll have a look.

Nick-T

Anna-Louise

sorry was trying to keep it large enough to see... will have to redo in a few hours as 1.45am here.
A

Anna-Louise

Hey Nick,

Right, a bit of sleep and resized image...

Anna

robertpoll

Hi Anna,

Really difficult still to see much from this still - perhaps a small crop at full size (or something close) might show the problem a bit more clearly..?

...rob
robert poll photography | www.robertpoll.com | +44(0) 7768 466663

mauro risch

Anna;
Have you tried using Genuine Fractals? I've used it for a client that had a betacam video frame and needed to print it 3m x 8m.
The software was fantastic on resizing it. I think it is worth trying. You may download the  trial. Good luck!!
www.maurorisch.com
    0430 383 588

Anna-Louise

Thank you all for your posts.

I had a rough day yesterday and wasn't able to reshoot due to weather so I am back to working on the files.

I will try the genuine fractals as well as the moire removal.

Anna

Anna-Louise

Hello All,

Just to update you on what happened with my photo... I used phocus on a very slow laptop to process the moire and it worked wonderfully, the laptop didn't do so well. Phocus did so well that it took most of the oil rig with it. I had to compromise between no 2 and No 3 moire control, noise and curves then retouch the oil rig back in using photoshop. It took the best part of 4 days to process and retouch. The results will hopefully speak for themselves at my London exhibition next week. At present I have yet to see the 300% print but it will be arriving tomorrow which I am very nervous about. Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.

All the best
Anna-Louise

NickT

Hi Anna_Louise
Worth noting that if the moire filter is applied and you choose to save as layers, Phocus will automatically give you a layered file with and without the moire filter applied so you can layer mask between the two to hide unwanted artifacts.
Nick-T