X1Diii wish list

Previous topic - Next topic

strohscw

I love my X1Dii but I think it is always possible to think what´s next.

I would like to see in future:
1.) faster readout time for the sensor to improve the usability of my Leica R and M-lenses on the X1D, maybe without the existing additional limitations (ISO, flash,..).
2.) Better light sealing for the connctors to avoid light leakage at long time exposures
3.) Focus stacking integrated in firmware by selecting nearest and furthest sharp point plus used f-stop. Firmware calculates the steps needed and autofocus sets the steps, exposes and give me the single raw files as well a focus stacked raw file. (Could be integrated in a firmware upgrade already)
4.) Firmware possibilities to change the wheel direction usage (Could be integrated in a firmware upgrade already)
5.) 28mm Tilt/Shift lens for X1D
6.) X1D-Monochrome
7.) Improvement of the dynamic range

Nevertheless, this X1Dii is the very best landscape camera I ever had.
Good job Hasselblad!
Wolfram

JCM-Photos

My two wishes:

- new sensor : backlit, 16bit native with phase detection AF

- focusing distance on display and in viewfinder
Sharpen your eyes not your files

brian

Tilt-shift adapter for 21mm lens

Muri

(All of my concerns I believe could be done already)

Monochrome simulation with different curves and with various color filters even.
Ability to customize all buttons such as AE-L and AF-D
Ability to enable only the Crop Modes you want to use (they are 11 of them and I probably only use 4)
Use the accelerometer to calculate the offset of the rolling shutter line by line and automatically repair the images.

carton

Quote from: JCM-Photos on January 26, 2020, 05:22:47 AM
- new sensor [...] phase detection AF

I have to vote against this if there is any compromise to IQ.  It will never be a sports camera.  Going down this path leads to "Jack of all trades, master of none."

It's possible to improve focus without sensor tricks.
- better contrast-based algorithms that, in particular, don't confirm focus lock when it hasn't been achieved.  I can live without most of the new fancy nonsense, tracking eyelash detection, all these fads, but I'm losing shots to this basic problem of seeing focus confirmed when it's not, that I'd not have considered ok in 1997; I'd have said, back then, "you have failed.  Until you get it right, return the microprism focusing screen, please."  This absolutely does not require PDAF.  Contrast-based cameras have gotten this right for a long time already.  I do ok with XCD45, but with XCD80 I've lost a lot of shots when I don't manually confirm focus.
- mode for focusing in the dark on a tripod.  The mode could be automatically activated:  if the gyroscope senses no movement and a lot of sensor gain is needed to focus, take your time locking focus.
- 1:1 focus-by-wire mode.  The existing nonlinear mode is annoying in the dark and when trying to do informal "follow" focus ex. for theatre.  Unfortunately this may be impossible because I suspect the ring digitizers aren't precise enough; the throw would be too large.  Nevertheless, a "hold AE-L button to lock 1:1 at the finest resolution" would help me out.
- True Focus.  The "correct for focus shift" part of this should be just mandatory.  The "specify focal point by reframing" part is more relevant than ever to the hand-held workflow supposedly improved by the lighter X system.  This should not be held back.  It can work with both manual and auto focus.  It'd be a real competitive advantage, and it should be within reach.

a good idea.

Taking it further, I would like to:

- specify two focus points and have the aperture and focus automatically chosen to cover both.

In general I think there's room to compete by making lens calibration tables smoothly useful to the camera's handling, something they're already exceptionally good at.

I would make some improvements to using it with a strobe:

- manual flash viewfinder-mode.  When I set aperture, shutter, ISO to work well with a flash, the viewfinder becomes too dark to use.  Maybe I'm too stupid to discover the existing option to handle this situation, but I haven't figured it out!  I have to increase the shutter speed to peek at viewfinder, then reduce it to use the flash.  On the bright side, Mq mode is useful with a flash.  It's very good they included that, good fundamental features going all the way back to V system!
- flash trigger input mode, using electronic front-curtain.  This would be an extension to Mq mode with even less shutter lag: instead of the camera firing the flash, you can trigger the flash directly and inform the camera when the flash has fired.  Leave the leaf shutter open and electronically clear the shutter every shutter-speed interval, so the sensor is continuously being cleared on the edges between abutting shutter intervals.  If PC input fires within a shutter interval, close the leaf shutter and read the sensor at the end of the interval.  This feature could create some revenue because it would come with a PC input box, similar to the remote shutter release cable, that plugs into the mic jack.  I hope they don't charge too much for it.

spb-ch

My two wishes:

- new sensor : backlit, 16bit native with phase detection AF

I agree with Carton over Phase but I definitely would vote for this:  focusing distance on display and in viewfinder

pss

Quote from: carton on March 16, 2020, 12:12:12 PM
- new sensor [...] phase detection AF

I would make some improvements to using it with a strobe:

- manual flash viewfinder-mode.  When I set aperture, shutter, ISO to work well with a flash, the viewfinder becomes too dark to use.  Maybe I'm too stupid to discover the existing option to handle this situation, but I haven't figured it out!  I have to increase the shutter speed to peek at viewfinder, then reduce it to use the flash.  On the bright side, Mq mode is useful with a flash.  It's very good they included that, good fundamental features going all the way back to V system!
- flash trigger input mode, using electronic front-curtain.  This would be an extension to Mq mode with even less shutter lag: instead of the camera firing the flash, you can trigger the flash directly and inform the camera when the flash has fired.  Leave the leaf shutter open and electronically clear the shutter every shutter-speed interval, so the sensor is continuously being cleared on the edges between abutting shutter intervals.  If PC input fires within a shutter interval, close the leaf shutter and read the sensor at the end of the interval.  This feature could create some revenue because it would come with a PC input box, similar to the remote shutter release cable, that plugs into the mic jack.  I hope they don't charge too much for it.
As with all mirrorless this has do be done through the live view menu settings....on or off ...the X1D can set this separately for A and M which is nice....

strohscw

As written in my original post they integrated the focus stacking into the firmware upgrade, thanks Hasselblad for that! I really like it. It even would be better if they could change the operation to the way I mentioned: The user marks the nearest and farthest position and decides which fstop he wants, then the firmware calculates (is much easier for the processor than me) the needed frames and starts with focusing and shooting. Anyway, thanks for the improvement!

fh29

Being left-eyed I could make use of a small joystick-type controller or four-way control pad. I've tried to set the rear screen as a trackpad but none of the custom areas work for me both horizontally and vertically.
As for using the wheels this is utterly counter-intuitive AFAIC.

A live-view histogram or highlight clipping warning is necessary, though let's hope it can be added with a firmware update for our mkI and mkII bodies...

SrMi

Quote from: strohscw on June 15, 2020, 03:31:58 AM
As written in my original post they integrated the focus stacking into the firmware upgrade, thanks Hasselblad for that! I really like it. It even would be better if they could change the operation to the way I mentioned: The user marks the nearest and farthest position and decides which fstop he wants, then the firmware calculates (is much easier for the processor than me) the needed frames and starts with focusing and shooting. Anyway, thanks for the improvement!

The camera does not need to calculate the number of steps, it just needs to stop at a specified end focus point, as it does with infinity. Guessing the number of steps is really annoying.