Expensive Morning...!

Previous topic - Next topic

BillW

The good thing is that my X1D with 21 is fine. The expensive part is the two Format-Hitch ND filters. I was setting up yesterday morning out on a rocky beach to take a lighthouse shot. I had the filter holder attached and was selecting a filter (ND) when one slipped out of my case and "did not bounce on the rocks" but broke into many pieces. I got out another one and had difficulty getting it into the holder and could not get a graduated in there at all. Later I added my other ND and then could not get it out of the holder except with a lot of difficulty and when it came out, it also did not bounce on the rocks. So two down and one left and I am leaving it in the holder. Later I learned that they are $179 each to replace. Told the wife and she laughed till I said what they cost but she was glad if was not my head that did not bounce off the rocks. Oh well I still had a great time. Now I need to ask Vieri if his discount works on replacement filters...! ;D
Thanks
Bill

braver

I've not used filters much and wonder why would you go through the trouble if Lightroom has any effect imaginable in post?  I kind of see the point of filters in B+W but for color?  Genuinely curious...

fotophil

I used soft edge split 2 and 3 ND Filters extensively during my film days but not nearly so much since digital. I tried to refine my Photoshop skills as a means of weaning off the grad filters but there are still a few instances where grads are very effective and less work than post production corrections. ...and yes my grad filters would not bounce either!

BillW

I use the neutral density filters to block the light and allow me to use longer shutter speeds for the effect I am looking for. I use graduated ND filter to block the background light and get a better overall capture. I know you can do some of this in post but I like to get the best initial image I can.
Thanks
Bill

flash

Quote from: braver on September 08, 2019, 06:34:15 AM
I've not used filters much and wonder why would you go through the trouble if Lightroom has any effect imaginable in post?  I kind of see the point of filters in B+W but for color?  Genuinely curious...

Polarisers and the effect of neutral density filters on shutter speed (at a set aperture) are nearly impossible to replicate in Photoshop. Grad filters less so but sometimes it's nice to get done in camera.

The X1D is probably the best long exposure camera on the market and so having 6, 10 and 15 stop ND's in the bag can add something interesting, sometimes.

Gordon

rent

Bill,

Did you figure out why you had so much trouble getting these in and out of the holder? I'm interested in acquiring an ND or two, but concerned if they are so difficult to use.

Thanks!

Quote from: BillW on September 07, 2019, 08:21:51 AM
The good thing is that my X1D with 21 is fine. The expensive part is the two Format-Hitch ND filters. I was setting up yesterday morning out on a rocky beach to take a lighthouse shot. I had the filter holder attached and was selecting a filter (ND) when one slipped out of my case and "did not bounce on the rocks" but broke into many pieces. I got out another one and had difficulty getting it into the holder and could not get a graduated in there at all. Later I added my other ND and then could not get it out of the holder except with a lot of difficulty and when it came out, it also did not bounce on the rocks. So two down and one left and I am leaving it in the holder. Later I learned that they are $179 each to replace. Told the wife and she laughed till I said what they cost but she was glad if was not my head that did not bounce off the rocks. Oh well I still had a great time. Now I need to ask Vieri if his discount works on replacement filters...! ;D
Alex Jiang

Instagram

SrMi

Quote from: flash on September 08, 2019, 09:06:19 AM

Polarisers and the effect of neutral density filters on shutter speed (at a set aperture) are nearly impossible to replicate in Photoshop. Grad filters less so but sometimes it's nice to get done in camera.

The X1D is probably the best long exposure camera on the market and so having 6, 10 and 15 stop ND's in the bag can add something interesting, sometimes.

Gordon

If you happen to have forgotten your ND filters you can use Photoshop to emulate long exposure by merging several images, e.g., 20 images at 2 seconds give a water blur similar to a 40-second exposure. It would be a pity though, as X1D is the best digital camera for long exposure.

BillW

Quote from: rent on September 08, 2019, 02:50:38 PM
Bill,

Did you figure out why you had so much trouble getting these in and out of the holder? I'm interested in acquiring an ND or two, but concerned if they are so difficult to use.

Thanks!

I have not had time to figure it out as we are traveling in Maine. The filter system by Formatt-Hitech is a very good system though and I think the issue is me. I will try to post later what I find if any.
Thanks
Bill

Bill_Evans

Quote from: SrMi on September 08, 2019, 03:50:19 PM
Quote from: flash on September 08, 2019, 09:06:19 AM

Gordon

If you happen to have forgotten your ND filters you can use Photoshop to emulate long exposure by merging several images, e.g., 20 images at 2 seconds give a water blur similar to a 40-second exposure. It would be a pity though, as X1D is the best digital camera for long exposure.

While this may well be true, I have always preferred my time in the field with a camera as opposed to sitting behind a computer.  And indeed the X1D is a stunning camera for long exposure.
BillEvansPhotography.net
BillEvansBlog.com

Vieri

Bill,

I am very sorry to hear about your misfortune, and I definitely hear you on the filters not bouncing very well on rocks! Being on the road half the year, I came to the point where I consider filters "almost-consumable"...  :D I break 2-3 every year at least, sadly!

About the holder being tight, that can happen with a new 100mm Firecrest holder (not with the new 85mm ones, which have a different guide system). My suggestion would be to use the included Allen key to loosen the four Allen screws that hold the filter slot guides to the holder (not too much, of course, or they'll become too loose!), and see if that helps sliding filters in and out. When you found your perfect point of "slideness", so to speak, you can add a drop of black nail polish to prevent the screws to get looser and the filters to fall off. I don't recommend locktite because if you'll need to re-set the screws, since the Allen key is extremely thin, even the smallest amount of the weakest locktite will be too strong and you'll risk not being able to take the screws off again.

Ah, and of course VIERIB10 will work for replacement filters as well! :D

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Proud Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters and NYA-EVO bags | ABIPP
Websites: https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini | Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vieribottazzini/

BillW

Quote from: Vieri on September 10, 2019, 08:20:19 PM

Bill,

I am very sorry to hear about your misfortune, and I definitely hear you on the filters not bouncing very well on rocks! Being on the road half the year, I came to the point where I consider filters "almost-consumable"...  :D I break 2-3 every year at least, sadly!

About the holder being tight, that can happen with a new 100mm Firecrest holder (not with the new 85mm ones, which have a different guide system). My suggestion would be to use the included Allen key to loosen the four Allen screws that hold the filter slot guides to the holder (not too much, of course, or they'll become too loose!), and see if that helps sliding filters in and out. When you found your perfect point of "slideness", so to speak, you can add a drop of black nail polish to prevent the screws to get looser and the filters to fall off. I don't recommend locktite because if you'll need to re-set the screws, since the Allen key is extremely thin, even the smallest amount of the weakest locktite will be too strong and you'll risk not being able to take the screws off again.

Ah, and of course VIERIB10 will work for replacement filters as well! :D

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Vieri

Thanks Vieri I will give that a try when I get back. I was also thinking about spraying silicone on a cotton swab and rubbing a little on the little tabs that hold the filter in place. I will try the discount when I replace my filters \.
Bill
Thanks
Bill