Anyone using 3rd Party lenses on X1D and Feedback as well

Previous topic - Next topic

rollsman

I just purchased the XCD 65mm f2,8 and have NOT received my X1D MK2 yet. Just want to have it now. I would like to see who has used 3rd party lenses especially for Portraits. Thank you   Dennis
Dennis mansour

rent

My favorite adapted lens is Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm. It has slight vignetting (expected), but wonderful rendering and ridiculously small coupled with the X1D.

Canon T/S lenses work very well too, without much vignetting unless shifted to the extreme.
Alex Jiang

Instagram

Ikarus

Quote from: rent on August 11, 2019, 10:40:12 PM
My favorite adapted lens is Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm. It has slight vignetting (expected), but wonderful rendering and ridiculously small coupled with the X1D.

Canon T/S lenses work very well too, without much vignetting unless shifted to the extreme.

Which adapter do you use for your M lenses?

Michael H. Cothran

I have a Kipon adapter for using Hassy Zeiss lenses, plus one for Nikon lenses, plus an XH adapter for using H system lenses. All brands of adapters work well, and do what they're supposed to do.
That said, the only one I use now is Hasselblad's XH adapter, for the HC 300mm lens on my X1D. I don't like using any other third party lenses on this camera, as you lose too many camera controls, plus you are resigned to using ONLY the electronic shutter. Worst is that you have to stop down the lens for shooting, which can make focusing quite difficult. All in all, using third party lenses significantly hinder the picture-taking process.

And, when you state specifically for Portraits, you need to realize that the adaptors requiring the electronic shutter (all but the XH) DO NOT allow use of any kind of strobe or speed light. So all of your portraits can only be taken with a continuous light source. Way too many restrictions for me.

All said, I would NOT recommend using third party lenses on the X1D (other than H system lenses with the XH adaptor). Sure, it's "fun" to mount a small Leica M lens, but, IMO, the fun wears off very quickly. Unless you already own the third party lenses, and cannot afford an XCD lens, I would stay clear. That said, anyone who can afford Leica lenses can afford XCD lens.

Good luck.

rent

Quote from: Ikarus on August 11, 2019, 10:57:59 PM
Which adapter do you use for your M lenses?

Kipon L/M-X1D adapter.
Alex Jiang

Instagram

rollsman

Michael, thank you for letting me know all thats involved with 3rd party lenses. The HC lenses are MF on the Xid?   I did not realize so much was involved. Appreciate it
Dennis
Dennis mansour

flash

Quote from: rollsman on August 12, 2019, 04:11:13 AM
Michael, thank you for letting me know all thats involved with 3rd party lenses. The HC lenses are MF on the Xid?   I did not realize so much was involved. Appreciate it
Dennis

No. All the HC lenses are AF on the X1D except the 120mm macro and 300mm, with a few conditions. They need to be the newer versions to have AF although the leaf shutter works and you'll have access to flash/auto exposure with even the older versions. Most of the older versions with 1/800 shutters don't work (although my 210 does as it has the later firmware) with AF. All the versions with 1/200 shutters work with AF. The ones that work are referred to a the *orange dot* versions. Also my 35-90 has unconvincing/innacurate AF especially at longer distances so although it has AF it's really a MF lens. Also there is no AF with the HC tele-converter and the T/S adaptor doesn't work.

OTOH it is possible to stack the XH>XCD adaptor and the XCD 1.7x tele-converter (the one made for the 135) and maintain AF. It makes my HC210mm a handy 350mm lens with AF.

Gordon

flash

As far as third party lenses go, I also have a bunch of adaptors but with the limitations of the electronic shutter I really only use the T/S lenses and even then only occasionally as they adapt better to my S1R.

For portraits, if you have a Sigma 85mm Art it is spectacular on the X1D with no vignetting (no flash though). Although I never use it now I have the 80mm 1.9. The HC 100mm 2.2 is also wonderful (and with a more classic rendering wide open) and supports AF and the internal leaf shutter. The HC 150mm is also no slouch if you want something longer to compliment your 65mm.

I really like some of the HC options on the X1D.

Gordon

Bill_Evans

I only have, and use, adapted lenses on my X1D. I use the three Xpan lenses when I need to travel light and a basket of Mamiya glass when I have the luxury of added weight.
BillEvansPhotography.net
BillEvansBlog.com

rollsman

Hi Bill, I know the Xpan lenses are excellent and small and light, Do you get AF with them? Are they easy to use on the X1d . Lmk more about how to use them on the X1D. I would appreciate that.  Dennis
Dennis mansour

flash

Quote from: rollsman on August 13, 2019, 01:33:18 PM
Hi Bill, I know the Xpan lenses are excellent and small and light, Do you get AF with them? Are they easy to use on the X1d . Lmk more about how to use them on the X1D. I would appreciate that.  Dennis

The XPan lenses are rangefinder manual focus lenses. They never had AF. Think a Leica RF lens with a MUCH bigger image circle. So manual focus and electronic shutter only, like most adapted lenses.

Gordon

snappu

I love shooting with my 50 lux asph on the XCD. I take it along for candid night shots. You just have to know the Iimitations of the e-shutter and work around them.