I think Phocus is ready for the prime time

Previous topic - Next topic

NickT

Well I finally took the plunge and used Phocus on a major shoot the other day and it went very well. I love being able to re-size thumbnails (you can make them huge), comparing two images side by side, the moire filter (especially with the option to export a layered file with the filter on and off), and the constrained crop ratios. I also love that you can have 1000px embedded profiles. There are still a few inor bugs but I'm in direct touch with the guy in charge and he's fixing them as fast as I can tell him about them.

Nick-T
Nick-T typing at you from Flexframe's secret location under a Volcano

Chris Crumley

Nick,

That's good news. Can't wait to have Phocus in the workflow mix with Lightroom. I wonder how things will be with new Phocus and v2 Lightroom!

Also, we shouldn't forget how fortunate we are to have "one of us real user people" with a direct conduit to the Phocus development team.

Chris
Chris Crumley  Virginia Beach, VA USA
H2/39CFH Phocus v2.0.1 Mac Intels OSX 10.6.2 Lightroom 2.6
http://chriscrumley.com http://blog.chriscrumley.com  http://blog.chriscrumley.com/BlogBook

Anna-Louise

Hey Nick & Chris,

I'm putting phocus on a mac laptop in the morning to use the moire filter on an ocean picture and looking forward to seeing the results.

Any news of the beta pc version yet??

Anna

jeff.grant@pobox.com

There is a ripper when deleting images. I have found a few times that when culling images from a folder Phocus will just die with no message.  I have reported it back to the mothership already.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

NickT

Yep seen that one, just seems to do it the first time then is fine afterwards..

NickT

The issue of delete/crash has now been fixed with final candidate of Phocus..

jeff.grant@pobox.com

You're on fire Nick, it must be that volcano! Here's another one: Start Phocus and drag a folder from the favourites to the Capture Destination. Phocus will fall over pretty soon after that. I've just done it. I don't know whether it is related but now, if I select a folder that doesn't have any FFF files, it falls over whenever you try select it.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

jeff.grant@pobox.com

I just tried it again after a reboot. If I point Phocus at a folder with no FFF or 3FR files in it, it dies. This particular folder had Leica DNG and a PSD in it.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

jeff.grant@pobox.com

I really don't want to start sounding like a little Aussie whinger, particularly when Nick is a Kiwi, but I just found another foible. I was using the separate viewer setup only to find that the curves picker won't work on the separate window. Close the window and return to a standard setup and the picker works as advertised.

Are you really sure this is ready for prime time, Nick?
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

johnshipes

Howdy,
Just after v20 became available, I had my first major with the software.  The ONLY thing I wish I had was the overlay.  I have had no issues with setups, shooting or processing.  I shot food images with napkins that were showing a bit of moire and the software works.
Had one image that required an overhead camera, used live video, the software works.

I agree that it is ready and am using it like it is. 

Oh, by the way, 93 degrees in Dallas.  All humidity!

John

NickT

Quote from: Jeff on May 23, 2008, 06:13:47 PM
I just tried it again after a reboot. If I point Phocus at a folder with no FFF or 3FR files in it, it dies. This particular folder had Leica DNG and a PSD in it.

Hi Jeff
I am unable to replicate this here. The only thing I can think of is that the Leica DNG is the problem, can you try a folder without a Leica DNG and see if the problem persists?

Cheers
Nick-T

NickT

Quote from: Jeff on May 26, 2008, 05:07:49 PMI was using the separate viewer setup only to find that the curves picker won't work on the separate window. Close the window and return to a standard setup and the picker works as advertised.

Are you really sure this is ready for prime time, Nick?

I have replicated this issue and will report to the Danes ASAP.
Nick-T

jeff.grant@pobox.com

Hi Nick,

Pointing at another folder with TIFF, PSD and JPG is fine. It looks like the DNG is the culprit. Thanks.
Cheers,

Jeff

www.jeff-grant.com

NickT

Quote from: Jeff on May 26, 2008, 05:07:49 PM
I was using the separate viewer setup only to find that the curves picker won't work on the separate window. Close the window and return to a standard setup and the picker works as advertised.

I have passed on this bug, but worth noting that if you activate the viewer window by clicking on it the picker does work.
Nick-T

NickT

Quote from: Anna-Louise on May 22, 2008, 08:20:16 AM

Any news of the beta pc version yet??

Anna

Apparently Phocus PC is 2/3 months away.
Nick-T