• X1D shutting down immediately after turning it ON

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimitric

Hello -

My turn to have some strange behaviour with the X1D...

I was in the midst of taking a picture with a 6 minute pause.
The image appears on the screen but immediately after, the words "shutting down" appeared and my camera turned off. Odd... so I started up my camera again, the screen turns on and boom.. again "shutting down". I've tried a couple of times until I decided to remove the battery, set it back in and try turning on my camera again but to no avail. Same thing.
I have tried again and still nothing. So I decided to go for my spare battery and it worked but I don't know if it was purely circumstantial or if the issue was indeed linked to the battery or my camera.

Now I know what you may be thinking. "Idiot. Your battery is dead!" It wasn't.
I still had 3/4 of battery life left.
For info : my firmware is up-to-date and I had the XCD 21 lens.

Has anyone encountered this problem?
Any idea what may be causing this?
Do I have to worry about the camera?

Thank you.

- Dimitri

BillW

I experienced the same thing but it was in fact my battery. I would try to drain it as much as possible and then charge it again. I have had no problems since.
Thanks
Bill

SrMi

I second the suggestion to retry with a freshly charged battery.
Sometimes X1D reports that the battery is not empty, while in reality, it is. I had a problem where my XC 21mm did not want to focus and the battery was more than half full .... not really. The problem went away after replacing the battery.

Dimitric

Hello -

Thank you for your feedback and input...
OK, I'll try that, hope it will work.

- Dimitri

michael123

That's the battery.
It is not faulty, just need to be recharged

electricphoto

I have had that happen many times. It starts up the second time. I have not found it to be a battery issue.

Vieri

Quote from: michael123 on February 12, 2019, 08:36:44 AM
That's the battery.
It is not faulty, just need to be recharged

Quote from: electricphoto on April 03, 2019, 11:36:23 AM
I have had that happen many times. It starts up the second time. I have not found it to be a battery issue.

It actually is BOTH of the above :) I noticed both behaviours, sometimes the camera turns off and starts up fine the second time, sometimes - when the battery is low - it just shuts down. As well, if you have one of the new batteries and didn't use it for quite some time, the battery sends a sort of "I am empty" message to the camera even if it is, in fact, charged. Quickly connecting it to the charger will reset the battery (you'll notice the charger's green light) and the battery is good to go again.

Hope this helps, best regards

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Proud Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters and NYA-EVO bags | ABIPP
Websites: https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini | Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/vieribottazzini/

SrMi

I had issues with a battery in X1D that was not used for a while. The status depicted 3/4 full. When I mounted my new XCD21 it would not auto-focus. It turns out the battery was too empty/weak to handle AF on XCD 21mm, even though the status display didn't say so.

Iceman1331

Quote from: SrMi on April 04, 2019, 05:07:18 AM
I had issues with a battery in X1D that was not used for a while. The status depicted 3/4 full. When I mounted my new XCD21 it would not auto-focus. It turns out the battery was too empty/weak to handle AF on XCD 21mm, even though the status display didn't say so.
If you leave a fully charged battery in the x1d and not operate it for awhile, it will shut down very soon next time when you turn on your camera. It happened to me twice when one time i was trying to update the camera software, and it shut down on me during the update; the 2nd time was when i was trying to take a few shots after putting the x1d away for awhile. You need to recharge the battery before you use the camera next time to ensue it won't shut down on you.