X1D - 35-75 mm lens

Previous topic - Next topic

brian

It's been a very long time this lens has been announced but Hasselblad have not given any firm date for supply. Does anyone have a contact in H to get some information on this? I want to purchase an X1D-50 but I want the zoom lens. The lack of communication by Hasselblad is really unacceptable. Can anyone throw some light on this?

Greg

Quote from: brian on January 24, 2019, 12:40:28 PM
It's been a very long time this lens has been announced but Hasselblad have not given any firm date for supply. Does anyone have a contact in H to get some information on this? I want to purchase an X1D-50 but I want the zoom lens. The lack of communication by Hasselblad is really unacceptable. Can anyone throw some light on this?

I can "throw some light on this".  They're not going to tell us ANYTHING.  That seems to be the Hasselblad way.

hcubell

Quote from: Greg on January 24, 2019, 02:11:53 PM

I was recently told by someone at Hasselblad USA that should know that it will be released by "mid-year." That's this year. We shall see.

I can "throw some light on this".  They're not going to tell us ANYTHING.  That seems to be the Hasselblad way.

JimBrennan

I just posted on this in the X1D section. I do not believe this will be produced at all.

FYI Today I was told the parts for the X1D are being discontinued....

Mister J

Was it ever suppose to happen?

At launch time Hasselblad said this:

"On a shot-term we are introducing a 30mm wide angle lens already at Photokina in September... More XCD lenses to come next year. Having zoom will be difficult, as it almost impossible theoretically to develop a zoom lens for such large medium format sensor that is compact and practical for such portable camera."

They then, some time after said a zoom would happen...Did they just say this to get leverage on sales?  :o

fotophil

I have two Hasselblad medium format zoom lenses: 35-90mm for the Series H Camera and a 60-120mm for the 200 Series Camera. Neither lens is very fast (60-120m is only f/4.8). Both lenses are large, require 95mm front filters and weigh a ton. When I use these lenses on my X1D, the relative sizes of the camera and lens is like the tail wagging the dog. The compact form factor of the X1D is destroyed and the setup becomes a tripod based studio camera. Hasselblad was negative about the availability of a X1D Zoom Lens in the beginning and but later discussed the zoom lens as being a possibility in the future. Now they know we want the X1D Zoom and they must be aware that the GFX has currently has 2 Zooms with another due out in 2020. It would be very interesting to see what the X1D lens designers have done.

brian

Quote from: hcubell on January 25, 2019, 11:58:02 AM

I was recently told by someone at Hasselblad USA that should know that it will be released by "mid-year." That's this year. We shall see.

I need it by June 2019 or forget it!

hcubell

I seriously doubt you will see the zoom by June, 2019. I am hearing mid to late 2019. I would assume late 2019.

Quote from: brian on February 19, 2019, 10:20:09 AM
Quote from: hcubell on January 25, 2019, 11:58:02 AM

I need it by June 2019 or forget it!

fotophil

An updated X1D Owners Manual was just released (2019-03-14 v1.11) that seems to include all of the recent firmware, new lenses and even the dual battery hub. Unfortunately there is no mention of the 35-75mm Zoom Lens. Hasselblad has achieved a very high level of optical excellence combined with compact designs with the X1D Prime Lenses and it is possible that their 35-75mm Zoom Design requires further development in order to meet the goals that Hasselblad set for the X1D. Leica had a similar problem in designing a medium format zoom lens for the S System and were unable to to duplicate the outstanding optical performance of their S System Prime Lenses in their Vario-Elmar-s 30-90mm Zoom Lens. As a result their zoom lens is favored for applications such travel photography rather than applications that require maximum optical quality. Maybe Hasselblad just needs more time to optimize the 35-75mm Zoom Design so let's hope for a 2020 release date.

brian

Well it seems that the 35-75 lens is finally out - I predict this lens will be a big seller - I plan to order my soonest

satijntje

The zoom was announced this week, but it will be on the market not before October 2019!
But rather expensive and heavy beast!
I prefer to stay with 2 primes

Geruvah

Since I have no other lenses, this will be flexible enough for me to bring to trips if I need to do a wide lens and a portrait. Eventually, I'll want to get their 80 and 135 with converter for portrait and landscapes.

It just sucks that this comes in October but the X1D II comes in July. Guess I'll be renting lenses when I need them.

sanglier

Much too heavy for a lens that is supposed to be mounted longer than others

strohscw

For me as landscape photographer I don´t see an advantage over my 30, 45 and 90 set. I normally carry the camera with one lens on it in my hand and therefore it would be to front-heavy.
But this is only me, if you want only one lens or under conditions where you don´t want to change lenses it could be a perfect choice.
Greetings

Wolfram

sanglier

Hello, on the data sheet, i see that the distorsion of the zoom at 35 mm is higher that xcd 30 mm.  :-\