Bought the gfx 50r

Previous topic - Next topic

JimBrennan

While it feels like plastic,

Works incredibly better! Has predictable auto focus with face and eye detection/and get this Focus Stacking!!

Oh and they have lenses to buy with it! Like a 34-60, 250mm and just release a 100-200zoom

Image quality about the same, but still prefer Hasselblad's colors.

vsbhk

Like many I thought that the 50R could be my next camera. Big discounts probably contributed to the success but after trying the Fujifilm for a few days I found the X1d far superior. Now if only Hasselblad could make an announcement about what's coming next that would be great.

astudent

Quote from: JimBrennan on January 22, 2019, 12:07:26 PM
While it feels like plastic,

Works incredibly better! Has predictable auto focus with face and eye detection/and get this Focus Stacking!!

Oh and they have lenses to buy with it! Like a 34-60, 250mm and just release a 100-200zoom

Image quality about the same, but still prefer Hasselblad's colors.

Would like to hear of your assessment after a couple of weeks or more of regular usage

michael123

fotophil

Don't sell Fuji short - they did and still do make all of the Hasselblad System H lenses apparently with no major QC issues.

michael123

Quote from: fotophil on January 23, 2019, 03:41:11 PM
Don't sell Fuji short - they did and still do make all of the Hasselblad System H lenses apparently with no major QC issues.

Thanks, so it is like Samsung makes the display for iPhones

hcubell

I have a great deal of respect for Fuji and the system of bodies and lenses they have put together for the medium format digital market. However, everybody (and every company) has its relative strengths and weakness. For me personally,  the Fuji camera bodies are poorly designed, particularly the GFX 50 R and the forthcoming GFX 100 S. The menu systems and overall gestalt are terrible. These are the areas where the X1D shines. Fuji does make very high quality lenses, they makes lots of them, and they are cheap. The XCD lenses are also superb, but slowly being introduced and much more expensive. I personally am ok with that. I don't need lots of lenses. However, I look forward to the XCD zoom and the X2D.

JimBrennan

Quote from: hcubell on January 24, 2019, 09:26:21 AM

I have a great deal of respect for Fuji and the system of bodies and lenses they have put together for the medium format digital market. However, everybody (and every company) has its relative strengths and weakness. For me personally,  the Fuji camera bodies are poorly designed, particularly the GFX 50 R and the forthcoming GFX 100 S. The menu systems and overall gestalt are terrible. These are the areas where the X1D shines. Fuji does make very high quality lenses, they makes lots of them, and they are cheap. The XCD lenses are also superb, but slowly being introduced and much more expensive. I personally am ok with that. I don't need lots of lenses. However, I look forward to the XCD zoom and the X2D.

I agree with you on the erogonomics. I am afraid you are going to be holding your breath for a long time on a xcd zoom, or any plans of an X2D.

When I tried to get the doors parts today they had to check and said some parts are no longer available. Luckily they checked and still had whatever is included on the door assembly because, they didn't have a clue as too what that encompassed. Dji just bought them to put the name on the drones. I doubt they will do anything more than what they have with the X1D. I think it's evident by the last firmware up, without any real meaning. Oh except perhaps they will make the 120 Marco actually focus...

cementjungle

Quote from: vsbhk on January 22, 2019, 03:27:18 PM
Like many I thought that the 50R could be my next camera. Big discounts probably contributed to the success but after trying the Fujifilm for a few days I found the X1d far superior. Now if only Hasselblad could make an announcement about what's coming next that would be great.

In what way did you find the x1d to be superior? Image quality, usability or something else?

On paper the 50R seems pretty superior, at least for usability features. I had assumed that since the sensor is the same as in the x1d that the image quality would be similar.
Bob Park
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.lightcraftstudio.com

JimBrennan

Quote from: cementjungle on January 25, 2019, 09:05:33 PM
Quote from: vsbhk on January 22, 2019, 03:27:18 PM

In what way did you find the x1d to be superior? Image quality, usability or something else?

On paper the 50R seems pretty superior, at least for usability features. I had assumed that since the sensor is the same as in the x1d that the image quality would be similar.

The design is nicer, more compact, the handmade build quality, and the ergonomics. Excellent as a travel/landscape camera.  The Fugi is bigger, handling is like a plastic half hollow brick driveway paver.

Michael H. Cothran

One feature which I find superior on the X1D is the fact that the lenses all have leaf shutters. This is important to anyone who uses flash a lot. The Fuji, incorporates a single focal plane shutter in the body, instead, so one is very limited on sync speeds. And before anyone comments on HSS, remember that utilizing HSS on your camera is not very convenient, and drastically restricts the power levels of the flash.
Of course, there's always a "flip side." And that, in part, is why leaf shutter lenses are more expensive - you have to "pay" for a shutter with each lens, rather than having one shutter in the camera body, and no cost for having one in each lens.
Still, for me, given the choice, I prefer the leaf shutters and their wider choice of sync speeds.

edmundronald

It is possible that focal plane shutters give some more vibration - in this particular case maybe someone could do a comparison.

As pointed out, the fact that with the Hassy design one buys a shutter with the lens also means that there is no shutter mechanism to break in the body :)

The only thing I personally dislike about the Hassy, as a potential buyer,is the shutter delay.

I think it is good that Hassy and Fuji both have a competitor, it keeps them honest, and makes them work a bit harder - and often competition grows the market like with Canon and Nikon.
Edmund

Quote from: Michael H. Cothran on January 27, 2019, 05:36:01 PM
One feature which I find superior on the X1D is the fact that the lenses all have leaf shutters. This is important to anyone who uses flash a lot. The Fuji, incorporates a single focal plane shutter in the body, instead, so one is very limited on sync speeds. And before anyone comments on HSS, remember that utilizing HSS on your camera is not very convenient, and drastically restricts the power levels of the flash.
Of course, there's always a "flip side." And that, in part, is why leaf shutter lenses are more expensive - you have to "pay" for a shutter with each lens, rather than having one shutter in the camera body, and no cost for having one in each lens.
Still, for me, given the choice, I prefer the leaf shutters and their wider choice of sync speeds.

SrMi

Quote from: edmundronald on January 28, 2019, 09:03:17 PM
It is possible that focal plane shutters give some more vibration - in this particular case maybe someone could do a comparison.

As pointed out, the fact that with the Hassy design one buys a shutter with the lens also means that there is no shutter mechanism to break in the body :)

The only thing I personally dislike about the Hassy, as a potential buyer,is the shutter delay.
<snip>

What do you mean by shutter delay? The shutter lag is about .3 sec it seems, but the blackout (sensor readout?) is quite long.

edmundronald

I meant lag. 0.3s means I'd have to own/carry another camera. in which case I might as well use that other camera. as I'm not a landscape-only shooter.

my opinion only. just for my own use.

Edmund

hcubell

Quote from: edmundronald on January 29, 2019, 09:12:14 AM
I meant lag. 0.3s means I'd have to own/carry another camera. in which case I might as well use that other camera. as I'm not a landscape-only shooter.

my opinion only. just for my own use.

Edmund

So, why are you here?