• Turn OFF the EVF during a shooting

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimitric

Hello -

I was wondering if there is a way/option to turn off the EVF
via the menu?
Is it possible, does this option exist?
Because in some circumstances I really need it for some shoots.

Thank you

- Dimitri

Dimitric

Hello Gaboulet -

You didn't miss anything.
But as I said in some circumstances I need to turn it off (at least I wish I could).
Like when I put the camera so close to a wall that I couldn't even place my head between the back of the camera and the wall.

So yeah, does this option exist somewhere in the menu (I have it on my Leica's).
Thank you.

- Dimitri

sog1927

I assume he's concerned about power consumption.

Dimitric

Hello -

Hello -

I will further clarify.
In some cases I have to position the camera all the way back and close to the wall (less than 1 cm) that I myself cannot be behind the camera.
When the EVF is switched on (because I have less than 1cm between the wall and the camera) then I cannot see on the screen as it is turned off and so i cannot see what is happening and I cannot judge whether the positioning of my camera is good (eg. Pillars in an house, ...)

So nothing to do with power consumption ;-)

Question remains quite simple,
Is there a way to turn off the EVF indefinitely via the menu?

Thank you.

- Dimitri

jerome_m

I am not sure about the menus, but what happens if you cover the viewfinder eye sensor with black tape?

sog1927

Quote from: jerome_m on October 25, 2018, 07:34:41 PM
I am not sure about the menus, but what happens if you cover the viewfinder eye sensor with black tape?

It stays on all the time, which is what will happen if he places it 1cm from the wall (which is why I thought he was concerned about power usage, since having live view on all the time is probably not great for battery life).

Since power isn't an issue for you, why is having the EVF on (even if you can't look through it) a problem? Like galoubet, I'm having a little difficulty understanding why you're concerned about this. I'm sure there's a good reason - I just can't figure out what it is.

Dimitric

Quote from: galoubet on October 25, 2018, 08:58:52 PM
Dimitri, this doesn't make sense (to me at any rate).

If the camera is only 1cm from the wall how can you see anything, on the EVF or the main display? How do you know where you are focussing on or whether you have a focus let alone the composition of the picture. Sorry, I'm quite bewildered.

It was a particular situation... (see the uploaded picture)
Camera was in front of a tiny pillar, but so close (1 cm) that couldn't not see what was showing into the EVF (automatically switched ON) and the rear screen was of course switched OFF. May be you'll be able to understand the situation with the picture  ;)

- Dimitri

sog1927

I hate to suggest this, but are you able to use the Phocus app on an Apple device to compose, focus, and shoot?

rxchaos

Doesn't switching to Mq mode turn the EVF off?

Mellan Wilde

Quote from: rxchaos on October 31, 2018, 03:58:51 AM
Doesn't switching to Mq mode turn the EVF off?

yes, EVF and live view are off in MQ mode to save power.

hbern

I understand very well the situation - I would say a tablet or computer connected is the best option. It also makes it easier to point the camera straight, compared to when looking at the display in a very narrow angle.

BradP

Dimitric, I see a green cast in your example photograph.  Is that what bothers you?  Or is it something else?

Dimitric

Good morning everybody...

To summarize...
The VERY SIMPLE question remains the same,
is there a way to turn OFF the live view in the EVF, but keeping it ON on the rear screen?
I DON'T want the X1D to switch AUTOMATICALLY the "live view" from the the rear screen to the EVF.

@ rxchaos, thank you for your advice (MQ mode). The problem is that for both (EVF and rear screen) the live view is unaccessible.
@ hbern, it's just not possible for me to take a tablet neither a computer with me (my bag is full and heavy, furthermore I have to climb fence, walls the whole day ;-)
@ Brad Paulson, no it isn't that, my problem in this particular situation was that the X1D was @ ±1cm of one of theses columns you see on the picture and thus I couldn't put my head between the column and the X1D (because there was only ± 1cm in between). And because there was only ±1cm, the X1D "live view" was switching automatically from the rear screen to the EVF (so I was unable to "frame" the picture).

Thank you,

- Dimitri

BradP

Dimitri, thank you for the explanation.  I don't know a solution.  I also believe there might not be one. 

Instead of waiting for one, I imagine a more worthwhile solution would be to reposition the camera a few centimeters.  It won't work for the shot you desire though. 

I imagine turning the EVF off is not a high priority for Hasselblad at the moment. 

sog1927

Quote from: Dimitric on November 05, 2018, 12:40:50 AM

@ hbern, it's just not possible for me to take a tablet neither a computer with me (my bag is full and heavy, furthermore I have to climb fence, walls the whole day ;-)

I can understand not wanting to carry a tablet - how about an iPhone? You could use Phocus on that and at least be able to compose, focus, and shoot over WiFi.